1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

are walker mowers a good deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by david griggs, Jan 30, 2002.

1. david griggs

david griggs LawnSite Member

i never heard of them until yesterday when i was doing a search on commercial mowers. the thing i like about them is that the decks are interchagable. that way i wouldnt have to buy two mowers,i could slap on the 42" on days when i have my small gated lawns set up, & set up my large lawns on the other days and run with the 52" deck. sound like a plan?
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

They are a great mower! As an owner of 3 Walker mowers they are worth every penny! If those who dont like probly never owned one and is only a opinion. We have Walkers, Toro Z-Masters, Toro Walk behinds and feel all our mowers have a specific task in my company. The Walkers are an out front mower unlike our ZMasters, you can cut tight areas and save time on trimming due to this design. All our employees also agree for small to medium size yards that need to be bagged its a much better machine. For our ZMasters they win hands down on large properties where bagging is not needed plus do to there size and speed they can cut a lawn in no time. The ZMasters we run are faster then the Walkers but like I siad each mower has there own specialty. Walker mowers have decks from 42" to 72" many options like tail locks, light kit, power dump and more. Also available are dethatchers, areators, debri blowers, bucket loader, bed edger, bed coulter, boom sprayers, snow blowers and more. We have the Big 9.5 bagger mowers and can switch to a 52" side discharge deck in 2 minutes!!!!!!!!!! Like I siad if you own one you will like it you havent its only a opinion.
  3. david griggs

thanks for the info brian, so how much do these beasties cost? im thinking about a model C. we mulch exclusivly so wouldnt need the bagger. two minutes to change the decks? im sold!
  4. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I first bought a Walker after I had been doing this for a few years. I bought a VERY used model C and it changed my business. I ran than sucker for 3 years and it was 16 years old when I bought it (they had changed the engine).

Last season I bought a new 26 hp and it has again opened up opportunities (thanks Mow Ed). Your going to hear the words "high maintenance" That has NOT been my experience. You change/sharpen the blades, keep it greased, and change the oil (all super simple procedures) and these machines will run forever.

I would think a 16 hp (model C) would run around $8,000.00. Extra decks run $1200.00 plus. These are not cheap machines, but then again do you want all of your competitors to be able to afford one?
  5. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i would recommend going and demo-ing one first.enginewise i'd go with the 20 or 25 hp.if you have the scroll go with the diesel.the 16 is better suited for homeowner use.a new deck will cost you between $1200 to $1500.i have just seen a used 2001 model with 400 hrs on it for $4500 -not a bad deal since the're 10 grand new (ghs).they're ok for the small properties but a little slow on the bigger stuff.
  6. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

Da Best!!!!

for baggin', hills, manueverability, and re-sale value........
  7. david griggs

most of our lawns are small,we can do about 3-4 an hour at $25 a pop.we've tried many mowers over the years,snappers,dixons,toro 32" walk behind,even a $1,500 troy bilt 33" wb- i liked it better than the $3000 toro!
  8. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

although we do not ow one, the walker is a very good mower. ver versatile as well with the many possible attachments.

we use exclusively ransome/bobcat mowers because we get good prices and service, and the dealer is 2 minutes from the shop.

I recall our dealer had a bobcat ZT100 for sale aboout 3 years ago.it is basically bobcats version of a walker with the rear bagging attachment. nobody would buy this machine because of 2 simple reasons. A: it was almost ten grand(relatively the same as a comparable walker) and B: if your going to spend the ten grand may as well buy the walker for the ability to use different attachments if desired.

eventually this mower was sold for $8,000 after sitting for a year and a half, and numerous demos by LCO's
  9. Grass Guy

Grass Guy Guest

I've been running Walker mowers for 7 years now. I'll have to say from my experience with other mowers you cannot compete with the Walker mower for it's maneuverability, grass handling capacity and cutting performance. It is definitaley the best mower for residential accounts. Saves you major trimming time, blowing, double cutting. The only downfall is taking clippings with you. If you do decide to purchase one, I reccomend going with at least a 20 H.P or better. I had a 16 H.P., The engine was going after 800 hours.
  10. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I just now re-read your post. I notice you mulch most of the time. I can't speak to its mulching capabilities. I quite often will blow the clippings out the back (larger properties), but I don't have any experience withWalkers and mulching. I do know that you can get different machines GHS and Side discharge, also they do make mulhcing decks. Around my area it is standard to collect and compost or feed to cows.