Are Walker mowers any good ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by buddhacj7, Sep 9, 2004.

1. buddhacj7

buddhacj7 LawnSite Member

I never see anyone writing about Walkers! I am about to buy one and am curious if I should!

2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

We have one and would not trade it for anything. But you need to look at your market and decided if it is best for you. If you are looking for a bagger it can not be beat. You also need to decide on what you are going to do with the clippings. How are tou going to dump them and move them on your truck or trailer. Where and how are you going to dispose of the clippings. Just somthing to think about.

3. buddhacj7

I will take clippings to the landfill. Anywhere in SC that sells used Walkers?

4. naturescaretaker

First, get a dealer to let you demo one for a day or two. Get some hands on experience handing the clippings. You may find it more then you bargined for.

Taking them to the dump can add a lot of cost. Down here at the beach they ding us pretty good. So we started a huge compost pile and then sell the compost.

We always watch eBay. About every three months we see a deal within about 4 hours drive. It is how we got the one we have now. It is a model T 25HP. It had 213 hours on it and we got it in Atlanta at a 1/4 of the price of a new one.

5. buddhacj7

For a month now I have been watching ebay and all the ones I see are up north. I am tempted to drive up to NJ and get one.

6. naturescaretaker

If the price is right why not?

7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

Buying a Walker mower is like buying an employee but without the headaches and the ongoing expenses. We've had one for a year now and I can honestly say that as long as I'm in the business, I will never be without at least one of them.

8. Geoffrey

Geoffrey LawnSite Member

Buddhacj7,
    I started using this site asking the same question. I lived in Memphis and now Bimingham I saw them everywhere in Memphis and now here in Birmingham. To my great surprise their not well liked on this site. I don't own one but used one for 2 years and for leaves I don't think there is better machine on the market.

Geoff

9. buddhacj7

I noticed I dont hear alot about them but here in Aiken SC they are everywhere! That
    is why I am leaning towards buying one. Scags, Gravely, walkers all around here. Never
    see Exmark

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

This site ain't anti Walker ..... people have their own opinion which is more than likely based on either what they know & what they here

When it comes to a Walker .... like any purchase should be based on your conditions, needs, expectations, results, value to $ .... and last but not least PRODUCTIVITY

I have 4 Walker's 42" & 2 Lazers ..... each has its own need n does what I use em fore