are Walker mowers productive

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnchopper, Feb 23, 2004.

1. lawnchopper

lawnchopper LawnSite Member

I've been reading the treads about Walkers and it seems that most people here are saying that they are great for cleanups and bagging but how good are they as far as being your "workhorse" for mowing and covering lots of turf in a day??? I dont see them being very productive from a mowing standpoint cleanups yes.
    Were used to using Super Surfers and ZTR's which are fast and perhaps were better off staying with those for our mowing????
    My boss is considering tading those for Walker but I believe that they might decrease our production time cause they are slower??
    the good thing about this I have alot of influence on his disicion cause i'll will be operating them.

2. Huften Lawn Care

Huften Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from CT

Your volume will probably decrease, while your quality will increase. If you can charge more than all will be happy. It would be a great addition hands down, but be carefull making it you workhorse, especially if you do not bag grass now.

3. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100% - while a great machine it isn't a high production mower but it's the only mower in its' class that I will ever own.

4. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

They are a meticulous mower and smaller in size to manicure a lawn. They are not made to be a large scale productive mower. Walkers along with some other mowers would make a great team.

5. LAWNPROzII

LAWNPROzII LawnSite Member

I agree with P&C, walkers combined with other ZTRs make a great combo.

6. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

I took a hard look at the walker and decided to go with either an exmark or a 60" Toro. They have their place but for me I am looking long term, sure they cut great but look where the industry is going. Mowing prices seem to keep going down. Operation costs keep going up. The only way to make more money in this type of market is to be more productive. They would be great for smaller yards but most my yards are larger. Think long term the walker may fit your needs now but will it fit your needs in the future or hold you back from making more money. I will probably go with the 60" Toro with the 27hp kawi $7000 DFS bagger $2350 (for Spring and fall) Stripe kit $120 Recycler kit $200 Total $9670 + tax = $1,500 less than a 48" GHS walker and will cut about twice as much. The other thing that bothered me with the walkers was the timed gear drives and the sheer pins. I would not trust an employee with that setup, for the single operator they are probably fine but was not for me.

7. cush

cush LawnSite Senior Member

I meant the 27hp kohler engine not kawi sorry

8. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

Same thing I always say. If you're bagging it's the best mower you can buy and if you're not it's one of the worst.

9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I love my Walker mower and will buy more of them. It's a niche mower though and I still use Z's and will buy more Z's as well.