Are Walkers really worth the BIG money!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jusmowin, Oct 21, 2001.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: my thursday route has 90 lawns on it with about 20 of them with backyards and my walker with the 20 kohler and 42" deck eats them up, well worth the money. like anything els e have to stay up on th maint. or you'll have problems. My walker was 3 years old in march and now has 3645hrs. on it, with little or no hassle.T
  2. RMDoyon

RMDoyon LawnSite Member

90 Lawns General Grounds???!!!
    You and what army?
  3. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

THANKS everyone for all the input , it has helped very much with my desicion JUSMOWIN
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Walker has several GHS "bagging" decks to choose from. They come in 36", 42", and 48" widths. I believe all of the tractor units are about 43" wide.:)
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

90 lawns in one day!:rolleyes:

I'm rolling my pants legs up as I type.

Must be an apt. complex.
  6. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blush: :blob3: ok, here's how it's done. 13 men, 4-61" bobcat walk behinds, 1-42" walker, 1-60" dixie, 1-60" bobcat ztr,, 1-44" lazer hp, 1-52 bobcat ztr. that's 9 men, 3 men whip, 1 man edges 8-10 homes and comes back to start blowing. the trick is that it's 2 stops, 40 before lunch, and 50 after. all in one development 3/4 acre lots. we have it down pretty good same guys do the same lawn, usually done about 630 in leaf and heavy growth season, and summer were in by 5. T
  7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Why so many different Mfgr's.??
    Its impressive but doesn't the maintenance guy have a fit?
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

General Grounds

Would you please be kind enough to post a picture of your crew and Equipment at work on the 90 yards

Thank you

Private Ric
  9. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

i' ve heard about the great dane and john deere merger, but i emailed walker to find a dealer and they responded(within 3 days by postal mail) that my nearest dealer is john deere. i have never seen walkers there but am going tomorow. i went to price scags there last year when they carried them and the basic walkbehind was over 3500 for a gear floater. this is redicoulous so i know the dealer is high. i was lookin for the model c or t i think (20hsp) with a 36 or 42 inch deck. i am just looking for prices that you guys have so i can tell if this dealer's prices are high or not. i havent investigated thier servicing or backup, but its hard to find a trailer with john deere on it anyway. any help would be appreciated
  10. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I started my business in 1990 with 2 Toro walk behinds and 1 Toro rider a (tractor mower). In 92 I bought my first ZTR 1992 Walker 42" 16 hp . My income doubled in 1 month because I was able to double my output. So was it worth it, you bet I made an extra 2500 per month after 30 to 45 days of purchasing it, and had a 400. mower payment at 7 months on 5 off. Not only that but now I am still running this same mower everyday. I have a new Lazer Z 60 Kaw L/C , and a 52" Grasshopper. But the 1 mower that is always on my trailer is the walker. I alternate the other 2 out.

PS I mulch all yr long, except spring and fall with it. But I only use Gator blades on the bottom and it works great. It will not mulch as well as the exmark because the deck is not deep enough, so I just run wide open, over the lawns twice if the need it to hide the clippins.