Are walkers worth the $?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heyfishguy, Jun 4, 2006.

1. heyfishguy

heyfishguy LawnSite Member

Hi I am just wondering if all of you guys that have walkers think they are a good investment? I am looking for a smaller mower nothing bigger than a 36" deck, and I live in an area where it rains alot. How do you find the ghs system? does it ever clog? How well does it work in the rain? Does anybody have a 36" ghs deck walker, and if so is the tractor unit wider than the deck? ANything that you dont like about the walker? What are its limitations?

thanks alot.

2. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

the company i work for has 3 walkers. all kick ass. the units we have are all big models with 26 hp engines. i have never used a smaller machine, i am sure it will work just fine, but be prepared to take alot of grass away. thats the only downfall. they did upgarde the collection system so it doesnt clog hardly ever. the 36" machine the whole machine is as wide as the deck. i know the machines hold the hills well, but zoisa lawns are p.i.t.a.s. the only other draw back is on wide open lawns that dont need to be caught. other than that they pretty much go everywhere and do a make a good clean cut in one pass so you rarely have to double cut. and you'll save a ton of time during the fall.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about the "don't clog" statment my unit will not bag in the rain or when it is wet. Often we mow in rain but that unit sits on the trailer and we use mulching mowers. In the winter I was doing wet rye grass that had heavy dew and it clogged so I got our Scag Cougar off the trailer and had better luck with it. Don't get me wrong our 36" Walker is a very good unit and it can vac up a lot of stuff, but it needs to be on the dry side. I wish Walker made a 36" mulching deck so we could use it on all our yards...a high percent have 37" gates.

4. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

For the money you save with ease of use, service and maintenance, YES! I am biased, not only use one, I like them so much I became a dealer. Check if your local dealer has one he would demo for you or check out a competitor who uses one. Much less hand trimming and major improvement in the appearance of your jobs.

Like I said, I am biased.:waving:

5. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i own a mt20 with 42" ghs deck, large blower and hopper, speed up kit. and high dump. it only clogs when i don't stop the blades fast enough when the full hopper sounds the alarm. because i'm trying to get to the end of the row. the deck clogs when the grass is wet and heavy and i'm going to fast. you can hear the different sounds when it clogs the deck. i love my walker it mows great. a lot of customers want the grass clipping to keep. i dump the rest on a farm and will spread it over the fields in the fall. i also own a 52" deck wow i can cut some grass with that deck. i bought the 42" deck for i can go in back yards with fences but now i'd rather have the 48" and use a quick 36 for back yards. i started out with the low profile tires they were too wide for the 42" deck so i got the narrow tires but i had trouble going up hill and to hold a hill going sideways but i tried the terrain tires now i can drive anywhere. thinking of replacing my ferris with another walker :waving:

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I too own a 36" walker. It's about a 1997 model. Smallest model they make, mines the 11 hp kawisaki and it's really PLENTY of power for the 36" GHS deck. More opinion from me later, got to run now...

7. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

heyfishuy,
    I bought my first Walker used last year from a dealer around here with the 20hp Kohler and 48" GHS deck. We collect the clippings on about half of our properties and the Walker cannot be beat for bagging. I was so happy that I bought another new 26hp efi this spring and am even happier. The only thing that I am kinda dumb for not doing is buying the diesel models because I want to switch all my mowers except the walkbehinds to diesel over the next couple years. Here is a thread where there is a lot of arguing over the Walkers. Just let me forewarn you that in this thread I don't think a lot of guys reailzed that some are talking about a midmount ZTR and the others are talking about the Walker, a machine made for collecting clippings.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=50558&highlight=Truth+Walker+mowers

8. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

I work for a cemetery dept we use the little 16 hp model mc with 42 decks and in the rain the clog so we pull the grass screens out of the grass boxes still clog a little:cry: :cry:

9. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I love my walker, everyone who is anyone when it comes to lawncare has one around here.

10. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

HELLO,,Own 2x walkers in conclusion 111111/ slighly rougher in ride compared to most mid mounts .There tyres are usually larger. 222222/Anymore mowing than 2-4hrs buy a mid mount[ job time suffers] to slow on open areas. 33333/always buy a diesel more cost effective. 444444/petrol units air coolled suck up debris into engine screen. 555555/recommend most desirable MD or second MT liquid cooled. 66666/ bigger machines MT/MD with skinny wheels NEW 10 1/2inch blower and 36 ghs deck .IT should pick up grass very well and possibly even when very damp. M/t M/d stand. blower 10inch , other models 9inch ??or 9 1/2inch. 77777/Buy a late model it will have most of the bugs sorted out low hrs . thanks tomo