Are We Allowed To???

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Gatewayuser, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a landscape light maintenance job (47 lights) that we just found out is line voltage what all can we service on this system without being a licensed electrician. A bullet fixture needs to be replaced are we allowed to take care of that? Thanks!

2. extlights

extlights LawnSite Senior Member

You could check with your state. We're not supposed to touch anything line voltage without being a licensed electrician. With that said, we have replaced a couple of line voltage fixtures because it's easy and only takes a few minutes to do.

More than anything though, I don't like to touch anything line voltage because of insurance reasons.

3. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

Check with your local inspector. They are usually pretty linient when it comes to these type of things. You can change light bulbs, re-aim fixtures. If they won't let you replace fixtures, sub it out.

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Im willing to bet your landscape insurance probably wont cover you. To me thats just as important as not being licensed to do the work. Im sure you can do it and do it right but why open a can of worms and risk your business over it.

I change bulbs in line voltage but leave it at that unless its a family members house or something. While Im very capable (wired several homes and renovated others including my own ) Its best to become buddy buddy with a good electrician in your area.