Are we carriers of fungus?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harperservices, Apr 8, 2002.

?

Are we carriers of fungus?

Poll closed Apr 13, 2002.
  1. yes

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. no

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

A client informed me today that since I cut his law in Feb of this year, he has noticed some weird type of grass and patchy spots in his lawn that are not in any other lawn in his neighborhood. A golf course has informed him that is one reason golfers are not allowed to wear steel spikes on the courses any more.

Is this true? Are we spreading bad grass and fungus to others yards?
    :confused:

2. plow kid

plow kid Banned

I am not sure with grass but when I worked for Buckeye Tree Dave always used isypropyl alcahol (sp) on the pruners and saw chains when we worked in oak trees. ~NaTe

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, you can spread fungus spores and weed seeds from one lawn to another with your mower. But mother nature is much more efficient than your mower, and she will deposit anywhere from 500x to 1,000,000x as many spores and seeds as your mower will over a years' time.

A healthy lawn is the best weed control, and a healthy lawn is most resistant to diseases. Take a square foot of any lawn 2 inches deep, break out your microscope, and you'll find up to 1,000+ weeds seeds waiting to germinate, and possibly several thousand fungus spores waiting for the right environmental conditions to become active. Your mower ain't gonna change that very much. LOL.

And golf spikes cause weeds and diseases? Hmmm....

4. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Very well said GroundKprs, if you have a healthy lawn it will resist weeds. I wouldn't worry about the mowers causing them.

Hank

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

yep lcos spread most spread weeds ,fungus and desease,
    all the time.weeds mostly.i wash my mower before i go to lawns
    that allow me to do the whole program.no use making trouble for myself.