Are we hypocrites?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by tiedeman, Nov 10, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

We demand that our customers pay top dollar for our services, yet when it comes to buying supplies, products, and services for our personal and business pleasures we want to get them cheap?
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

I guess, but that human nature, we want to get a good deal on everything. Who wants to overpay?
  3. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

I've never seen a better summation of the thinking here than what you just said. The smart consumer will always try to get the best deal for the least money so why are we surprised when it happens to services?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If I'm buying a product, like a TV for instance, I know I'm getting the same TV regardless of where I buy it. So I might do a little price shopping. Whenever I've hired a service to do something, I'm not so concerned about price, more interested in level of service, recommendations from others that have used them, etc.

I remember years ago, I'd waste 45 minutes checking prices on a CD at all 4 record stores in the mall. All to save usually $1...
  5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd call that good business
  6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

we work just like wal-mart we buy cheap and resell at a killing . thats the american way!!!!!!!
  7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen many threads and post dealing with - "I don't pull into a property for less than $!!!. Then in the next breath say "I negotiated my dealer down to $!!! for my new mower, then in the next breath say " Man - My dealer went broke - Now what do I do."

I think most on this site think they are worth a lot, and the support people - ie dealers of equipment etc. are worth nothing - They will negotiate like heck with the support poeple, but allow no negotiations with their customers. What does that mean???????
  8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would agree with flex deck. the mfg is entitled to a fair price for their services, and I will pay more for the same product if the quality of service is better than the other cheaper dealer.

this whole "don't pull up to a property for less than XXX" doesn't register with me. I charge what I need to to make a good profit, and be competitive with my area, whether it is $5 or $500. our market is built on lowballing. that is the great thing about it. if someone can charge less than you for the same service, and stay in business, you should not be bitter about saying: so and so took away my business. you should look at your company, and figure out why you can't match his price. if you find no concievable way to do it. their are two things to consider. 1. should you consider a different line of work. or 2. remember that he has the same expenses as you (providing the exact same service) and he will be out of business soon, because he won't be able to sustain his prices for very long.
  9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You need hip high boots reading threads on this site and carry air freshener. :D
  10. METRO 36

METRO 36 LawnSite Senior Member

a little of subject but why will some people drive all the way across town to save 5cents a gallon on gas? You use that much getting over there.