Are we responsable for employee mistakes?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DBL, Aug 8, 2006.

1. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

I know that we are responsable for or employees but how far do we go to cover their butts and pay for their mistakes. situation one employee is cutting grass about 3 weeks ago and takes out retaining wall. customer gets another lco to fix it and gives us bill for $830. two, guy today comes around corner hits ditch on side of road and pops a tire ($140). Then there is the every day they are braking some peice of equipment killing batteries and just the normal stuff they do. also to throw a wrench into all of this i tow part time for a towing company here and i was rushing because i was busy and took a shortcut a didnt chain a car down all the way and the chain pulled through the tow slot (bad hook up spot) and slammed into the head board of one of the brand new tow trucks not even 10k on her yet and dented up the front of this guys car and bent the headboard. im gonna have to help pay for this thing but they wont help me out like i help my guys out so where do i draw the line for being responsable for my employees. and even the $830 wall isnt worth going to my insurance company about i ahvent been with them very long and they would like a claim like that

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

In a word.......Yes

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

The bumps and bruises hurt, but your issues sound like the guys aren't paying attention to what they are doing. Come on now...taking out a retaining wall! Either he was drunk, blind, or dumb. He should've never been on a mower. That big os a mistake gets my guys fired immediately. "Sorry bub, but I can't afford you!"

4. Let-it-mow!

Let-it-mow! LawnSite Member

You are responsible for your employee's mistakes. If any employee is caosting you more then he's making for you, let him go.

If you are an employee of the towing company, you shouldn't have to pay to fix the car you were towing. Of course it's a two way street. If you're costing your employer more than you're making for him, he should let you go.

But if you're an independent contractor (not an employee) hired to deliver a car in good condition, you are 100% responsible for any damage to the car.

5. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

You are responsible! One question about the retaining wall though, did this customer hire someone else to fix the wall with or without you're approval? Why didn't you fix it yourself? If they just had someone else fix it without letting you do something about it, then you may not be responsible for the $830.

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

yeah the next week they just handed one of the guys a bill. i went and looked at the wall and the lady was like well see what we want to do. the employee slid down a hill and hit the top of the wall and it all fell over he was probably going too fast

7. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

WOW! A DAMN WALL!! PAY FOR IT OR YOU HAVE TO GO! AND YOUR A TRIMMER FOR LIFE :waving:

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

My business coach said something a along time ago that I really didn't want to hear and didn't want to admit. "Your business is a reflection of you" The sad fact is its true. You even gave evidence of it in your post. "I was hurrying", so was your guy. In our effort to save time we often take short cuts or just rush through things. If you have a company culture of go, go,go, moving too fast you will make more mistakes, have more more accidents. Working smarter will be more efficient and save you money in the long run.

So whenever I have a problem with the crew, before I holler at the guys I look at myself and ask. What have I done to foster this behavior?

9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point... well said

10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

The client can have anyone fix the wall. It is their preference. The law only requires 1 estimate from any company. It should be your guys that fix it, but it's not mandatory that you're allotted that opportunity.