Are we responsible??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NCL, May 17, 2004.

1. NCL

NCL LawnSite Member
    from NJ

We did a small top soil and seed job on Monday afternoon, on Wednesday afternoon we had torrential downpours, the following Monday the customer calls and says all the seed is gone and nothing is coming up. I told them the seed will take 10 days to two weeks before it come up, they said ok we will let you know what happens. Now are we responsible for the loss of seed if there really is any??
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

me personally, if it doesn't come up I would go back. Your reputation is on the line
  3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

No... you are not responsible for the acts of nature unless you are negligent in doing your work. If the seed has washed away after you properly installed it, the homeowner is out the $. Put it this way. If a contractor builds a house to code and it has passed inspection, then the home is damaged or destroyed by weather, is the contractor responsible? Of course not. Neither are you.
  4. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

If it is just some seed, I would go back and redo it. What is a little time and seed to save your reputation. Now on the other hand, if the rain washed gullys in the yard and it needs regrading, then that is a different situation. I'm assuming you put down some straw or something to hold the seed right? If so, there was nothing else you could do.
  5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

CNE, that's what I was wondering. . .did he put out any straw. If not, redo it and do it with straw.
  6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Unless straw is sprayed with tar or netted, it will not hold up to downpours, doesnt take anything to wash it away. Perhaps you need to net the straw down next time to hold it in place
  7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Charge them for the seed, but give your time for free.
  8. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

I would look at this situation as not having your reputation on the line nor to save it, but use it as an opportunity to make or build your reputation. Like was said, if you installed it properly, an act of nature could not be your responsibility. You said it was a small job so just put down some more seed and save the day. In a couple of weeks you'll be the good guy! I've had to do this twice this spring....Oly