Are Weeds normal?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jonspolaris, May 5, 2006.

1. jonspolaris

jonspolaris LawnSite Member

Our neighbor has had Trugreen for many years do their fertalizing. I was over there last night and noticed quite a few dandylions and another weed with a small blue flower. They also had crabgrass in a few spots. I asked the neighbor about it, as I know he probally spends a lot of $$ on fertalizer. He said he asked Trugreen about it and they told him it was "Normal" to have some weeds. He also does irrigated the lawn.

Do you consider weeds and crabgrass normal in a well established lawn? isnt that what a pre-emergance is for?

Thanks

2. Big Chicago

Big Chicago LawnSite Member

some weeds are normal along with crabgrass in bare areas. In my lawn I have about 3 different types of weeds but no crabgrass. I haven't even sprayed since November when I seeded.

3. jonspolaris

These weeds are not just in bare areas. Many are surrrounded by grass. I thought the purpose of a pre-emergence was to stop seeds from germinating.

4. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

If your neighbor is paying to have his yard weedfree, then weeds are not "normal". Any competent contractor should have weeds under control within at least 3 years. He needs to look at the program he bought and see if there are guarentees.

5. jonspolaris

Thanks,
    I dont know if it has any guarentees in it or not. He has quite a few apps through the year.
    I think TG was trying to cover thier but when they said that it was "normal"

Does TG often warrenty aginst weeds?

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Its normal for most lawns treated by TG!

7. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Yes. Weeds are normal in lawns.

The problem isn't the job or the performance usually. It's the lack of educating the customer as to the limitations of what we do.

And what we can do.

Weed free lawns are a dime a dozen, but the ones that usually have issues are challenging and sometimes not possible to live up to whatever expectation you have or the client was misguided with.

8. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Its kind of early for 'crabgrass' to be evident in the Windy City.....

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

T'aint crabgrass. Been too cold for it to even germinate yet. Well established lawns will have no weeds. They have been paying for a weed free lawn and Tru-Green isn't providing it. Time to find another provider.

10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

After three years of treatment, he should only have a few weeds. A couple here and there are normal, but if he has a major infestation, he is getting what he is paying for.