Are wright mowers better for the wrists and hands?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnguyland, Feb 16, 2007.

1. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey dudes and dudettes,

Been using pistol grip wb for years and sometimes have wrist and hand problems from vibrations, overuse, etc. My ? is- is a wright stander or sentar easier on the hands and wrists. I assume it would be, but have never tried one. Anyone have hand or wrist problems and switch to a hydro walk or stander and notice improvement? I'll drop the $ for the health. How about shoulders? I have rotator cuff tendonitis in both. Sweeeeet.

I'm also considering a rider but only 32-36" due to small props.

Thoughts? Comments? Thanks.

2. lawnguyland

somebody???

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, it would be a little easier on the hands.

I worry about your shoulders though.

Some of the long-term users will be along shortly to better answer you.

4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I've spent 8 hours on Stander (break for lunch) and the only thing that you need to get used to is using your hand muscles. I'm 20, so it might be different for those of you that are older than I am, but once my hand muscles got built up it was no problem to use a Stander all day.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Our stander isn't easy it requires long fingers.....better go with the rider if you got all these medical problems.

6. lawnguyland

Thanks for the help fellas. I watched a video of one of the new wright machines and the guy looked like he was bending and twisting his hands and wrists in a way which looked like it would be painful after a while.

Ususally I'll wear anti vibe gloves and supports if I need.

Maybe I need a compact rider or perhaps employees (eeeeek).

7. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at the stander because I have the same problem and I thought
    a WB hydro would be worse........I wonder that is a good machine if you have
    these problems.
    I hace a 52 zt that I will se most of the time,,,but what about the other.
    Any thouts??
    Alan

8. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What about a toro pro line with a sulky thats hydro and has the t bar? Would that work for you guys? I have driven one a little but nothing over an hour. Only thing you have to do is hang on but its not hard. It doesnt require any squeezing motin realy. Anyway you might look into it, or you can switch to rider

9. lawnguyland

Ohhhhh-good suggestion, cheaper too probably! I'll check to see if there is a 36" hydro or even a 32". I love toro stuff- I use the proline 21" and snowblowers.

10. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Ya i am sure they will be cheaper then the standers not sure how much but some. according to the toro website they have a walk behind with a 15hp kohler that has the t bar design that is a 36" floating deck http://toro.com/professional/lce/midsize/index.html