1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Are You a Landscaper or a Business Owner?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Sean Adams, Jan 14, 2013.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

"What if"

Theres risk in in all business, having employees increases risk. Everyones business model is different and thats the beauty of lawncare, solo guys can build a business that suits them and those that choose to get big can tackle that route.
    I would think that someone who "hates" this line of work, but was a good salesman could to far better selling cars, no joke.

Good thred, solo or having a large company still beat working for the man anyday

2. Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

You hit the nail on the head Sean. I decided this year (year #5) I'm going big and leaving solo behind. I could try and figure out my own plan for doing this, or I could emulate a proven system....got one in your back pocket? I won't do a franchise, I have more work than I can handle now & have no intention of giving any away for "national recognition". So come on man, throw me a bone...

3. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

exactly!!!

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I'm trying to bridge the gap between doing work with part time help and actually hiring a skilled worker or two and taking a true owners role. Its just hard to make that leap hoping i will sell and schedule enough work etc. please do your next post on this please!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Sean Adams

I could direct you to all of my web sites for the "full length feature film", but here is a helpful movie trailer for you....

1.) Advertise at all times, never stop
    2.) Hire right, train right
    3.) Implement a system for every aspect of your business
    4.) Know your numbers - all of them
    5.) Treat your customers as best you can
    6.) Invest in your business when it makes sense
    7.) Use the internet
    8.) Keep learning
    9.) Continue your industry education
    10.) Be careful where you get your business advice

6. Sean Adams

I will work on that and get it posted. I have already created some detailed information within the lawn letter (shameless plug), so I will dig through and see if I can make a helpful, sensible post here as well.

7. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Already get the lawn letter, so thanks again. But yes another focused post would be great.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. noahb195

noahb195 LawnSite Senior Member

I would say my dad is the buisness owner. And I am the landscaper. I make sure everything gets done right and is set to our standards. Then daddy makes sure we get paid and sends us off to the next job.

9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

So would going back out at 8:30pm in a light drizzle to double check my measurements and numbers on a $15k landscape install, to make sure everything is on key, make me a landscaper or business owner?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

I am gratefull to Sean and Lawnsite for all the info over the years. But I'm just a solo operator. I don't want to be a business owner. Especially in lawncare. Have you checked out the labor pool you have to pick from?

I think we need a checklist on how to be successful solo operator.