1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are you a Small-business owner or an Entreprenuer?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Thunderdogg, Jul 7, 2004.

Which are you?

1. A small-business owner...I'm happy with my current income or don't plan on expanding once I reach an

8 vote(s)
  2. I'm an Entreprenuer...I plan on expanding and growing my business for as long as there are new custo

43 vote(s)
  1. Thunderdogg

Thunderdogg LawnSite Member

I'm taking a business class and came across this in my readings.

My business textbook describes a small-business owner as someone who doesn't plan on growing or expanding his/her business. In other words you are happy with the income you are making and don't plan on taking the challenge and possible failure of expanding into a large operation.

An Entreprenuer is described as someone with entreprenurial vision and astute business planning. Your goal is to keep growing with no end in sight.

I.E. are you happy with your 75 customers and your $100,000 (or whatever :p ), or do you envision being CEO of a regional/national operation?

How many people don't want any more customers? How many people want to keep growing and expanding?

You could also be classified as a small-business owner and entreprenuer, since most entreprenuers started as a small-business owner.

Just curious, it would give me some insight for this class...

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I am never satisfied. Always looking for ways to grow the business.
  3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I dont want to get huge. I like to keep my hands in the pie and do the work. Maybe a couple employees in a year or two but nothing to compete with the big boys.
  4. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

Hey thunderdogg, welcome to lawnsite! Just down the road from you in Winchester. BTW I'm an entreprenuer.
  5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Thunderdogg,

Great poll idea! It will be interesting to see the results.
  6. Mudmower

Mudmower LawnSite Member

I consider myself a mix of both. I am never completely satisfied with my part of the business. I would love to grow, and become larger. But being a realist, I know that things have to be done in stages.

If I had to pick one I would say I am a Small Business Entreprenuer!!!!!!!!
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

My "unofficial" goal is to have at least one crew working for me in the next 3-5 years. This will give me time to do all the extra work, which does not involve cutting grass. I would like to hadles all the admistrative work, chem apps, overseeding, aerating.....and so forth.
  8. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have already began thinking of where i am going next. Once i get out of college i will buy up rental properties. I also want to own strip malls. I also am looking into storage units.

Oh...ALso internet sites.

I am going to an entreprenuer college in the fall.. Hopefully it pays off

9. Mudmower

Mudmower LawnSite Member

Trevor, storage units are a GOLD MINE........The Number 1 most important, drop dead rule for S.U.'s is location, location, location.

A college buddies father started in units about 25 years ago. He builds in high income areas, all spaces at least covered, concrete pads, dump stations (for R.V.'s). His all cater to folks with larger boats and R.V.'s. They usually pay for themselves in less than 5 years. Insurance is not an issue because the contract plainly states that the rentee' is responsible for ALL insurance. He is able to charge above average rates because of his facilities amenities.

His father said that the first one is the hardest (do it right, don't skimp), after that it's like having a money tree.

Good luck, Jim
  10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Entreprenuer all the way!! I deffinatelly want to expand this biz, and start others. A lot of which Trevor mentioned, also, used cars.