1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are you a synthetic oil skeptic?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bobby, Aug 5, 2000.

1. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

I recently changed a gearbox on the deck of my Walker. I decided to put synthetic oil in it. The other gearbox was filled with regular 90wt. After an hour of mowing, the synthetic box is cool enough that you can put your hand on it for five seconds before it gets hot. The other box is to hot to touch at all. They say heat is the killer of machines. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree it is better. DC has come up with a new blend of oil they call Velvet Touch Control. They use this in the hydros which they expect to get double the hours out of them and the other ones averaged 6,000 hours. This oil makes the hydros so smooth, that they don't even put on neutral springs or shock dampeners like some ZTR companies use. This was good news to me, because of my bad shoulder I use for steering. It cut my shoulder pain down considerably. BTW, this oil is supposed to make any ZTR hydo's smoother and extend the longevity of them. It may be worth a try.
  3. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

hey Eric do you know where we can order some of this magical oil I think I'll try it. no DC dealers closer than a 150 mi. thanks