are you afraid to show off your lawn?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by birddseedd, May 19, 2012.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I guess Northern people think grass is grass...they go into a big box store and the bags are labeled "Grass Seed"
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. cgaengineer

My reel will out stripe your rotary 6 ways to Sunday. Not only is it a reel, but it has a roller that's 30" wide and the drive train which is 4 tires and a drum in the middle is 30" wide.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

the ones i used at teh golf course didnt. not enough to stick anyway.

although, i was doin greens, only a handfull of milimeeters above the dirt.

4. cgaengineer

So you reckon you can stripe a green with your 62" rotary?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. birddseedd

oh. ok i see. it has a drum. thats where the stripes come from.

only the high stuff on a course is cut with rotary. fairways and greens use reel style. those mowers are real fun tho. gotta admit

6. birddseedd

no. iv never cut bermuta grass. only Kentucky blue grass. and dont bag unless im goign to splatter a house.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

They only put a little KBG into those fescue mixes. Just to give it some dignity.:usflag:

8. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

Here in the valley of California, all lawns are virtually fescue with maybe 20% KBG. We consider Bermuda to be nothing more than a weed, and hose it down with herbicides. Bagging is only necessary if you're running a mower that doesn't cut the clippings ultra fine. But yeah, it's bagged most of the time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. cgaengineer

I'm glad I dont have to kill Bermuda in a fescue lawn...Around here fescue is a weed and it's an easy kill in Bermuda...anything from round-up to gasoline usually leaves Bermuda only slightly yellowed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

I knew a guy that spilled round-up in his trailer, ended up treading around in it, and then walked across someone's fescue lawn soon as he stepped out of the trailer. Friggin idiot left dead spots all across the lawn in the shape of foot prints :laugh:

Yeah, fescue can be fried pretty easily.