are you an honest businessman? let's see

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Feb 27, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, today i was confronted by a test, i know it was a test from above, do you think i passed? what would you have done? here's the scene: a man calls for an estimate on full service. i scurry my fuzzy little butt down there asap. take my measurements, add it all up, i give him prices. x amount per cut, x amount fer a fert program, x amount for a spring and fall cleanup. we sit down to talk about it. he says, "oh, did you forget the trimming of the hedges?" i'm like, "yes i did, but, let me take a look at them." he says he wants them cut down to 4.5 feet. piece of cake, i'm lookin at 2 hrs work, not much disposal. i'm about to open my big mouth and say, "$175." when he says, "listen, i had a quote for $600, for the hedges, your other prices look fine, if we can keep the hedges at $600 or close to it, i'll consider signing with you." NOW, FELLAS, we always talk about pricing, and the "other guy", and how we can't live by the "other guys" prices. you do realize that is a two way street? you can't come DOWN to the other guys prices, so in all fairness, you shouldn't GO UP to the other guys prices. let's hear it. who's gonna stick with thier original figure, who's going up after hearing what i heard? be honest. and i'll tell you what i did. what do you think i did?
  2. PCLL

PCLL LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

2hrs of work should get you at least 280. So my advice would be increase the charge and explain you made a mistake.
  3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I think you should shoot for somewhere in between. I woud probably go around $300 or maybe a little less.
  4. pines

pines LawnSite Member

well, he already told you you were good on the other prices ......all you had to do was take care of the $600 quote. I would have told him that seems a bit high and quoted him probably $250.00. ( right or wrong that is what I would have quoted) The reason I would have done this is because you just exposed someone who was trying to rip him off....someday the same thing could happen to you. Secondly, your price savings to him will immediately win him over and you will create trust. Tough for a new guy to come in and break that trust factor. Last, I guarantee you will get more work and references from this guy. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

$400 or so is what i would say. I think you said $300-350.
  6. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I would have immediately thought if I under estimated the time it would take me to get the hedges done. I would have re- evaluated the hedge job, an if I knew I was gonna make money with $175, I would have stuck to my guns....For me, its an integrity thing....Maybe this was his test to see what you would say......

By readin your post bobby, an knowing that you were trying to pass a test from above, I think you told the guy $175. Which is what I would have done, as long as know I am making a profit with this price. From what I have read from you so far, I think your gettin a little integrity an compassion in yer old age...

This honesty, will really get his attention, and probably lead to more work in the future....

Carma will bite you in the butt everytime.......
  7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

If you didn't give your price of $ 175.00 before he said" $ 600.00 or around there", I would have told him the price you were going to quote him. If that's a good enough figure for you to make some$$$ on this account, fine.Just be sure you have a little "fudge factor" built in your pricing somewhere to cover any unforseen obstacles.This would have been that cushion to add in at say even $ 300.00. Honesty is best b/c it can and will come back to bite you in your fuzzy butt.If your happy, and the client is happy, what else matters?
  8. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

Only mistake here was him telling you what the other company bid. Anything under $600 and he's going to think he got a deal.

My guess is you bid higher, maybe $350.
  9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Do it at the price you thought at first seemed fair. Obviously someone is screwing the guy over, no need for you to half screw him either.
  10. gator-town

gator-town LawnSite Member
    from bfe

bobby ... do you believe in karĀ·ma ... that the effect of a person's actions and conduct during the person's existence determines the person's destiny ... I would give a price you could both live with ... and that is what you did ... sleep well !!!! :)