Are you cheap?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Mar 14, 2005.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

This morning I was doing a complete shrub and cleanup for a new client. I have been trying to get in this area, middle class nice house but not mansions. The average working person in other words thats does not mine paying you what your worth.While I was weedeating the ditch a lady pulls up in a late model caddyand ask me do I cut lawns? Tell her sure how can I help you? She then tells me she is looking for real cheap lawn care. I tell her Im not cheap but not expensive either. She tells me her yard is small and I should be able to mow it for 10 bucks. I reared back and laughed loudly (I know I should not have but cant help it). I told her that the minimum charge will be 50 bucks (I did not want her for a new PITA) and she floored the caddy and blasted off like I had mooned her! The yard I was doing took about 2.5 hours and I charged them 140 bucks and they did not complain a bit. These are the kind of clients I want. They had just moved here from Maryland and thought I was cheap on my pricing . LOL Send me some more Northern folks!

2. hulan2

hulan2 LawnSite Member

I hear you! One of my regulars called up today and ask if I could lower her monthly price this year as her contract was up. She is not a pita by no means but, it is funny how all the things I rad about on this site are all becoming the truth of reality!

3. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

could I lower my price. Sheeesh. How about if I up it??

4. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Im surprised at what Ive been doing. 2 years ago I went up to a 30 dollar minimum. Only had 1 complaint but the agree anyway. This year ive been bidding houses at 35 what i would normally do for 30 and my new customers arent complaining at all. I dont think Im cheap at all.

5. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bid a small apt. complex, about 50 people live there, about a total of an 1 acre, but a lot of detail needed, edging, trimming, and clean-up of clippings. hedges as needed.....bid $85.00 a mow, $170.00 a month.....people that own this place are loaded....got a call today, said she was going with another guy....I told her that was fine..............pisses me off that some are willing to just give it away.....

6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Florida is full of people like that woman. They live in $300,000+ homes, drive $50,000 cars, belong to the local country club...and they will not pay a reasonable price for mowing. These people have absolutely no respect for anyone that performs manual labor for a living. And all of them have a Bush/Cheney bumper sticker on their car.

I wouldn't pizz on one of them if their clothes were on fire!

When one of them asks for "cheap" or "low priced" lawn care, I tell them to buy a goat.

7. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

I don't think new custumers will. But the ones you already have will . They will say you did it for X amount last year why is it 5 $ more. Well lets see the gas is 2.16 a gallon now when it was less then 1.80 last year.

8. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

The goat will probley be more then you !!

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Dennis,

Bush / Cheney stickers have nothing to do with it. Except perhaps your personal political bias. Cheapskates come in all colors, political affiliation and yeah I get to deal with them here in Florida too.

Sometimes they are funny, sometimes they are annoying.

Gave a quote a few days ago for mowing .28 acres. Lots of randomly planted ornamentals for weed eating and curvy mowing. I bid $95 a month. She asked would you do it for $55. I smiled and waited. She asked again. I responded. I wanted to make sure that was what you said, cause I thought you offered $155 and that just didn't seem right. She still didn't get it. So I asked her for the contract back, which she gave me. I put it in my folder and thanked her for her time and left.

And yes the house was recently purchased for over $200k and She had a new Jaguar in the garage.

10. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

:angry: Man, these folks raise my blood pressure (and its high enough already) I really believe they think we are all high school drop outs and really look down on us like were scum. Ive got to where I have gotten an attitude with these kind of folks, after 7 years my skin has gotten real thin.