are you expendable?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 16, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

there are businesses that feel you need them, more than they need you, and they would be hard to replace, therefor they take advantage of you in price, overall treatment, etc. one example is an insurence company, another is a lawyer. what is your opinion on YOUR self, and your services? are you expendable?

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I am sure some of my clients would feel like I am. I know better and so would they if they tried to get the same service for a similar price, hell any price. There are others around here that do a good job, BUT so many that are hack and burn artists.

But boiled down to it this ain't brain surgery, so no one will die if their lawn isn't mowed or mowed well. Even though many of the PITA's think so.

3. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

To the ones I mow for yes!
    To my wife NO!

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

No one is a "one of a kind", therefore all of us can be replaced IMO...

5. lawnjockey51

lawnjockey51 LawnSite Member

My wife and I just had this conversation last night, I work for a large company and make very good $$$. I want to start a lawn business, wife thinks I am crazy.

I told her that if my large company changed hands tomorrow, or one of those yuppy pencil pushers decided that the company could save money by eliminating my job, they wouldn't give two thoughts about sending me packing, I'd be out the door and we'd be screwed. The threat of being laid off or replaced in the industry that I work in is very real. One decision that is completely out of your control, and you are gone, EXPENDABLE

If I had a lawn business and one of my customers left, we'd still eat and pay the bills. I may have to work harder, but the peace of mind that comes from knowing that one person's decision to make you expendable will not put your life in a tailspin ... would probably add ten years to my life.

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Everyone is replaceable

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Out of the hundred or so LOCs that are around me I would guess that 15 to 20 are about equal in service to me so yes I'm expendable.
    Bobby, you on the other hand, are one of a kind.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

once again, i have a different opinion. DON'T YOU LISTEN TO WHAT YOUR CUSTOMERS TELL YOU? the last 10 guys didn't show up regularly, they didn't edge properly, they weedwacked poorly, they left grass in the street, they couldn't control my crabgrass, my lawn turned brown every year by mid july, and they didn't know why, they butchered my ornamentals, and on and on, and on. but not YOU mr. gedd, you do a great job, the edging and wacking are perfect, the shrubbery looks great, there are no weeds in my lawn, it stays looking great year round, and on and on, and on.....with this, i have come to the conclusion, I AM NOT EXPENDABLE!! this is what i believe and i take full advantage of it. i think some of you guys have an inferiority complex? self esteem problem?

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Yes Bobby there are others out there that do that kind of work (bad) around here and I have picked up a few of them but I know that there are also others that do a great job and I'm sure one or two that might even do a little better. If I spent all day on a job it would be better looking when I leave and there are some who will take more time on a site than I. Not saying I do bad work, just that there is always room for improvement.
    On that same note a homeowner could always go back to doing it himself and spend all day Sat. and put me out of work.
    Also, look at you competition--- It might not always be other LOCs
    This is the first part of sales, What is your competion. If little Jonny makes his dad think that golf camp is more important this summer than the lawn than yes you are gone. If 200 per month is all they need to buy the new car than good-by green grass Hello black ES300. We must always sell our service as better than other LOCs --AND-- better than the other idems that are fighting for that same dollar.

10. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Neither bobby. You do have some valid points though. My customer service is irreplaceable vs my competetion in my mind. My service as "the lawn guy" can not even be deemed as replaceable in my mind. It is more than that. Total toss up i say. Lawns were growing before me and will after me. And i think I am irreplaceable? LMAO! If we left lawn care after 5 or 10 years we would not even be remembered.

Ya, im replaceable. That's why i thank god for the work he has allowed me to keep.