are you going convert your truck to lpg ???

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Sandgropher, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Well the state goverment here has announced a $1000 bonus to change your car or truck to lpg, it costs around $2000-$5000 to convert ( install a gas tank and lines etc) and a lot of people will get that back in a year through savings on what they would have spent, are you ready to make the change ??? .......or will you continue to pay high fuel prices.

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

LPG here isn't that much less expensive per gallon...Think I paid $2.68/gal last winter...

3. Sandgropher

Right different states must be a different price, as some guys mentioned that its less than half the price of petrol over there, some even thinking of buying the new lpg mowers to save money.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Hell no I am not. It costs me like 15 dollars just to get a grill size tank filled not exhanged but filled. I dont even want to think about what filling the truck would cost.

5. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

are there any other benifits other than it just burning cleaner?

6. Sandgropher

Well the benfits here is the price 60c a litre compared to 1.35 a litre for petrol.

All taxis went over more than a decade ago, a lot of new buses will run on gas(goverment buses) and a lot of people who like v8s use it , in basic terms you can save thousands a year, but it depends on your area and what the price is, the other factor is that it rarely goes up in price, it stays constant.

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have CNG on my truck and it is currently 1.85 per. gal and it is only fractionally cleaner than reg gas. It is a dual fuel vehicle so when I get emission tests they test both. Technically here if you are using LPG for a on road vehicle rather than say forklift or BBQ it is supposed to be taxed at a much lower rate, but it never is so there is little savings over reg gas.

I have to think the CNG has prolonged my engine life. Glad I went with it rather than LPG. Cost 8,000 up front but the great state of AZ sent me a check for 13,000 and my tags are only 12.00 per year and I can use the carpool lane alone anytime with no worries of a ticket. Good investment.

8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

it costs $11 for me to fill my gas grill tank, and it runs about $2/gallon here, so if i had a truck to convert, then yes i would do it, if i could find a way to mount the tanks to my tractor, i would do it for that too.

9. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

no idea what lpg is but mercedes has the new bluetech feature on there diesels.... $1000 for the upgrade(hybrids are 7-10k more usually) from dealer and the mpg where alot lot higher 30+ on the E class

and zero emissions