1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are you guys having Pre-EM put down yet?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by jvanvliet, Feb 7, 2012.

1. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i used barricade last year and didnt notice any root problems... going to use it again this year...
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

If you have to use Dimension twice. You could then followup with another product in mid summer...and still be legal. Use prodiamine or pendimethalin.

If you have weeds now there is a good chance you are looking at winter annuals that germinated in late fall. Henbit, poa, chickweed.
  3. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

The L&O is subbed out through my maintenance company.

Weeds that are showing have germinated, still plenty of seed in the ground that has not. Soil temperatures range between 60 & 70F (depending on location) which in range for germination. We have recommended emerged weeds receive spot treatment & a blanket pre-emergent application.
  4. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Florida Pusley, Common Lespedeza, Kakiweed, Purslane, etc. and of course Dollar Weed from people refusing to cut back irrigation (not a big problem on most of our properties).

We've had a warm winter, mid 70F - low 80F and a decent amount of rainfal.

Cold snaps have been somewhat mild and of short duration usually not lasting more than about two days.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Broad-leaf weeds are or should be easy to keep out of all the warm season turf. IMHO Pre emerge isn't needed for those weeds and does more damage than good. HOWEVER Grassy Weeds are a problem and we have very few legal Herbicides that can control them. THEREFORE Pre Emerge becomes valuable for Control of Crabgrass and suppression of Bermuda and Torpedo grass.

Today's post-emerge Crabgrass herbicides are rather disappointing. I actually have better luck killing Crabgrass with my Torpedo Grass herbicide which works great.