1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are you guys OK with this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMonster, Jan 22, 2005.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I know it's not the right forum, but this is where it'll get the views, so here I go:

I'm updating my website. I'm thinking of adding a page with testimonials. These testimonials will basically be comments I've gotten on this site from some of my work that I've posted. The page will look something like this:

Check out what other Landscape Professionals are saying about Green Monster Landscapes!

"Green Monster, you are a landscape God!"

"Green Monster, I'm in love with you!"

"Green Monster, I want to bear your children!"

ok, I didn't really get those quotes here, but you get the idea. I would only use actual quotes, and would not edit them, except take out unnecessary verbage. No names will be published on my site. Again, it just says "Landscape Professionals"

If you gave me kudos on a job, would you have a problem if I put your quote on my web page?
  2. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you want to? What will you do if the customer asks to talk to one of the people that have given testimonials?
  3. GreenMonster

from NH

why would I want to? Um, cuz I could accumulate some flattering comments from people in the same field who are essentially validating my work as professional, impressive, etc.

If a customer asked, I would simply explain where the comments came from. They're here for everyone to see. I wouldn't have to produce something that isn't really there.
  4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Are you going to put the quotes in that are not what you would like them to say?

I don't really see a need for them. If you are getting testimonials from your competitors (maybe not competing for accounts, but you get the idea) the person reading those quotes is going to know that you have talked to us about the idea. Who cares what we say about you? They want to know what your clients say about you from the kind of service you produce.
  5. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I think testimonials are a good idea I would avoid the situation above by contacting the folks whose quotes you intend to use, get their permission and ask if there is a way for potential clients to contact them (possibly by e-mail?).

If I were a customer I would be more apt to contact a previous customer of yours, so I don't see the contacting of shall we say co-workers being much of an issue most would I suspect be willing to help out if asked.

Having read your posts for a while now I would suspect you have already considered some of these ideas yourself.

6. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

No I would not post them..........What's the point,I would spend my time trying to drum up more business-rather than toot my own horn about what someone had said :rolleyes:
  7. GreenMonster

from NH

Yeah, I gonna do a search on "sh!tty job" and hopefully get some hits with my name :rolleyes:

GP - I would agree that the best testimonials are from customers. And yes, I've had several compliments on the work I've done for folks. Getting actual quotes on paper is a little difficult though.

The idea to have these testimonials was for a couple of reasons.

1. these testimonials are coming from Landscape Professionals. Guys that are in the same field, doing the same thing, basically telling my potential customer, who is browsing my site that this Green Monster guy does some nice stuff.

2. I have a reference list of previous customers that I send out either as requested, or with a landscape estimate. For the purposes of privacy, I'm not going to list customer names, phone numbers, and addresses on the web.

I just thought this might be a nice little addition on the site, giving customers some real life testimonials. Maybe I'm way off base. :confused:
  8. GreenMonster

from NH

that is the point.
  9. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's a great idea, but it looks like I'm in the minority here. I do think contacting the members you will quote would be a good idea to get some contact info and approval. Anything you can do to show your competency and professionalism is good in my book.
  10. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Great Idea parttimer! keep thinking like that and you might fool someone into thinking you can actually work all day each day :D But it is a good idea as long as you have permission, and for a few$$$ I'll write you up one that says you are the lord of the hard scapes.