Are you in good with your dealer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cutter, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

I have to believe I am. Everytime I go to either of the two that I purchase from I walk out with something free. Last time it was an ExMark hat and bump head for my echo trimmer and today two t-shirts/ one hustler and one echo. Dont know why but I love free stuff. Maybe thats why so many on here actually try the free cut idea.

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We spent $80,000 at our local JD dealer on 2 new tractors and a 20' batwing and he didn't even give us a free hat. He's a great dealer and they treat us good but they don't have any free stuff other than candy. Our new dealer in town who we have started to do some business with has contests quite often. So far i've won a hat, Echo t-shirt, and Hustler super Z replica. I have also been given (not won from contest) another hat, Krone hay equipment t-shirt and a leatherman mini tool so i'd say were in good with both dealers.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My dealer throws me a bone once in a while...been with him 14 years now.

4. Carolina Cutter

I have always gotten free stuff. And I have not spent that much with them. The free hat was for a reference of a guy who bought a mower from them. The other shop just hooks me up when they get something new. Free advertisment, maybe, I don't know but hey....I aint gonna turn it down.

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Merlin the fact that you are also a firefighter probably doesn't hurt you any in getting that stuff either. :)

6. Carolina Cutter

I try not to bring that into play when it comes to my business. If they now thats one thing but I don't go outta my way to tell them. I am a business owner as far as they are concerned and thats the way I want to keep it.

I know up north that the firemen are treated like royalty but its no so here in the south. Sure, after 9/11 everybody brought you things, wanted to shake your hand etc but now its back to normal and most people see you as nothing more than a janitor of sorts or a do all guy.

7. MMLawn

It's not just mowers either. The last Harley I bought I paid $22K and all in cash (well a cashiers check) no financing no nothing but here is the money hand me the title and I had to turn around and buy the tee shirt to go with it. Since he wouldn't give me the shirt I put it on my AmEx just cause I knew it would cost the dealer 3.5%. Cash for a $22K bike and AmEx Credit for a $25 tee-shirt :eek:

8. MMLawn

I'm with ya 100% Merlin and understand as I did 20 in LE. I was just saying that in a small area like you are in he probably knows and even though you didn't ask and would not, it's probably still in the back of the dealers mind. Heck, we had a business building (in another city) next to us catch on fire and the FD kept it contained to that building and saved ours. Called and told the Asst Fire Chief that we wanted to take the firefighters that responded and did sucha great job to The Outback in their town as a small thank you. He said, but 35 guys responded! Answer: Okay. It was one the best $1K ever spent.

9. Carolina Cutter

I believe I would have went to another Harley Dealer and let them know it. Cmon man a t-shirt....after a big money purchase like a Harley? We have a dealer like that here and NO ONE wants to buy from him. All the locals go to the outlying area for the better service and CUSTOMER APPRECIATION. The only thing that keeps him in business is the fact of the military base and all the soldiers with all that money when they return from being deployed. Other than that....he would probably go belly up. I will not even go in there because they don't even speak to you unless you come to the counter with a purchase. I hate people like that...they have forgotten what got them there.

10. Carolina Cutter

Well actually my Exmark dealer is in Raleigh and my other dealer is in Sanford so I have to travel a little to get there. I think sometimes you just have to sugarcoat your words and be a "salesman" of your own when dealing with people.