Are you incorporated?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bilchak, Feb 14, 2001.

1. bilchak

bilchak LawnSite Member

If so, what kind of coporation are you? We will have a 2 man business to start out with and we will both
    be equal partners.

One of us has a considerable amount of money he would
    hate to lose to a lawsuit, etc.

What are the pro/cons of this process?

How does it affect your taxes?

Thanks everyone,

2. Guest

I am in a very similar situation as you. I am a partner in a business and we chose to incorporate with S Corp election.

Here are the benefits...

-Liability protection under the Coproration.

-We pay the 15.3% Federal Self Employment Tax on only half of our income (salary), the other half is listed as dividend income. Savings of about $4000 a year in taxes.

-The Inc. after your business name will attract more commercial accounts.

Here are the cons...

-CPA fees are about $225-250 more per year than sole proprietorships.

-The Inc. after your business name will scare away *some* residential customers looking for more personalized services.

Those are the major pros and cons that I can think of. For us S Corp was the way to go. Hope this helps.

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

as an officer of the company you may not be required to have workman's comp coverage, depending on your state laws, in fla have more than 3 employees you need wc ...yet the officers are excluded, but we also have blue cross-shield to cover all medical issues

S Corp is NOT for everyone BUT if your in a partnership deal I'd say it's a MUST

there are many other issues .....get an hour of time from a CPA which deals in S Corps & has the ability to get you set up right (knows a bussiness lawyer)cost us about $300.00 to get started an then about $150 each year for the paper work
  4. bilchak

bilchak LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. We'll talk to our accoutant tomorrow and
    get going on the S Corp. process.

Thanks again,