1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

are you insured enough?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by captaingreen, Dec 20, 2004.

1. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

Today I was checking with another agency on medical insurance. During the discussion the agent asks if I have workman's comp.. I say well no, I'm my only employee and I currently have medical insurance, so what would the point be of having an additional policy. He proceeds to tell me how this farmer was injured while working in the field, had a $76,000 medical bill that was not paid by his insurance co. due to the fact that he was producing his livliehood "his job" and was not covered when working, that would be the responsibility of his "employer". Then he tells me that there is only 2 company's here in MO that cover you if your injured on the job without workman's comp. and mine is not one of them. So now I'm thinking gee, I pay $170 a month and am not covered if I fall off a roof while cleaning gutters! Just wondering what you other solo guys do as far as medical?
  2. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

We have health, eye, and dental through my wifes job which just happends to be an insurance company (BCBS). I will have to have her check into this.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Don't get suckered on sales pitches. When I had my brokerage, I had to go out and do a lot of conservation work in the final years, both for me and my reps. Call your agent or company or check your policy to make sure.
  4. captaingreen

captaingreen LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same co. Soupy, let me know what ya find out.
  5. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

i second that captaingreen---- soupy let me know as well what you find out BCBS gets $900 a month from me so i would definatly like to know. thanks
  6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Tell em you fell off your own roof. lol.
  7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I agree with Envy...call around and check first
  8. The Yard Barber Inc.

The Yard Barber Inc. LawnSite Member

I would make sure that there is not another secondary insurance policy you could get pretty cheap. A friend of mine is an insurance salesman so I will ask him what he thinks.
  9. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

I was always with the understanding that Workmans comp. does not cover the owner of any company, just employees.
  10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

They way I understand isthat workmans comp doesn't cover the owner of the company either. I looked into this and decided that I wold wit to add workmans compuntil I have employees because as the owner I owldn't be covered. And It didn't make any difference if I was incorperated or not.
    I guess we just have to be extra careful. I will have to double check my blue cross policy.