1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Are you Mr. Clean?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BrianK10, Jan 16, 2004.

1. BrianK10

BrianK10 LawnSite Senior Member
    from usa

Hey All.

Just curious as to how clean you keep all of your equpiment (trucks, trailers, mowers, even trimmers and blowers) on a regular basis during the mowing season. I know its as much as a pain for you as it is for me, but I personally believe that clean equipment does make your company in general look better and more professional. What do you guys think? Am I a nutcase or do any of you try to keep up on the appearance of all your equipment?

Brian

2. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

Since I have a full time job I don't have a lot of extra time it is more difficult. But I i'm going from a 4x8 to a 6x12 trailer this year. That should make it a lot easier to just go by one of those car was machines once a week and rinse everything off while its on the trailer. I could not do that with everything piled in that 4x8 trailer.

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

My equipment stays pretty dirty, but it is kept in top notch mechanical shape. We blow it off at the end of every day and pressure wash it monthly. Simply do not have the time to hand wash mowers and tractors. Our trucks are kept shiny though. We have them washed and waxed on a regular basis.

4. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

Every Day when my crews pull in the mowers and trimmers must be cleaned off before they go home, and on Fridays the Truck Trailer and mowers get a good wash. and wax once a month.
    This just helps promote our company as professional. and makes the equipment last much longer

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Everything get power washed once a week. Its a lot easier spotting a small oil leak on clean equipment that on equipments that has grass and dirt 1/2 thick covering it up. Its just part of the pm

Mac

6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

they won't like you very much down at teh car wash. the grass and mud will clog their drainage system. buy a pressure washer and do it at home or the shop.

7. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

I try to keep everything as clean as possible.
    I am doing this easier than a lot of people because I am fairly small now, but want to get into good habits for when I do grow.
    I think it helps with the overall first impression of the company image as you pull up, and are seen by everyone who walks by.

8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Mac said it better than me. I wish to keep my equipment clean and plan to again. My problem is that I had a cheapo gas powered power washer and I used to wash my stuff fairly often but the power washer messed up . I ordered new parts and tried to rebuild the thing with no luck and gave up on it. I plan to buy a better one this comming season. Anyone know of a decent mid priced power washer out there? What do u use?

9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I try to clean the big stuff once a week. Smaller equipment, I.E. trimmers, blowers, when they start to look a little grimey.

10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

The trucks ussually get washed once a week. The mahines just get blow off at the end of each day. I dont see any point in washing machines when after 15 minutes of use they will look the same again.