Are you picky about new yards that you pick up?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Jul 26, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

As I finished the day I turned down a potential customer because of too big a back yard that can only be cut with a 21''. I have also stayed away from the yards that get real muddy or too steep a slope even the wb couldn't handle. My ? is will you take anything you can get or do you only look for the better yards commercial or residential?

2. Lawnkeeper

Lawnkeeper LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I don't know why I am picky. I don't have enough yards yet but I know when I see a pain in the **s yard when I see one. They aren't worth my time. I know I would need fifty dollars a cut to feel good about pulling up to that house. Theres no way they are going to pay for it so why bid on it?

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Too big that can only be cut by a 21" ??????????? Get real - what do you cut with - a 5 inch mower or what - You must have made a typing error on this one. :dizzy: :dizzy:

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

what he was trying to say was a yard that had a very large back yard but only had access for a 21" mower. example: 1/2 acre back yard and 28" gate on fence.

5. South Florida Lawns

from usa

The 32'' wont fit so we would have to use 21's. NO THANKS

6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry - I did not get the picture - I see your dilema - but there has to be a way - Quote a year contract with a gate widening cost included. See what they do.

7. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd rather be turned down because my price was too high then to not even take a shot at it. Word gets out that you flat turn down work, that's not a good reputation.

8. South Florida Lawns

from usa

These are an older couple in my mothers neighborhood, and are friends of the family. If I decide on the yard I would try to push this. I have put up a few fences for a fence company in high school so it should be easy.

9. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

I used to pick up yards at a low rate and then my schedule filled up so I was turning people away all the time. I couldn't bring myself to drop customers so I could add higher rate clients.
    I'm doing it different this time around. I'm not going to work cheap and for that matter, if it's going to take much effort, I'll turn it down just for that reason.
    I really am lazy.
    A fast food place where I eat on occasion asked me for an estimate on his property today. I would love to have some commercial properties but with all the bushes he has and all the leaves that are hanging over the back of the lot, I think I'm going to want more than he's willing to pay.
    He told me that a Mexican guy is currently doing it and will be leaving the area in a couple months. He mows, trims and edges the grass in the front and then blows the entire parking lot weekly for $40. The guy won't give me the name and number of the LCO.
    I'm figuring either he is price shopping or the current LCO doesn't want to deal with the leaves this year.
    I look at it and I would want $30-$40 for the mow, trim and edge and then another $30 for the parking lot. And this is while the leaves stay on the trees.
    Wow, didn't mean to go into this long of a post.

10. chuck_jax

chuck_jax LawnSite Member

How about this for a dumb answer.

In MBA school, we learned that Opportunity Cost is the value of the next best thing you can be doing. In the case of taking on a PITA client, or low-profit client, your opportunity cost is either your next worst client that you would give up (assume you're fully booked) or doing maintenance, billing, finding other customers, or taking a break for 30-45 minutes.

If you are looking for another booking, take it, with the knowledge you can fire them as a customer later. Alternately, you can write them a really nice letter explaining to them how long you agonized about taking them on, and in the end you decided you didn't want their business because they are complete and utter ****** bags. Now that's tellin' 'em!