Are you putting CHEMICALS on my lawn??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DiscoveryLawn, Apr 7, 2005.

1. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I got this message from a customer that has been with me for a year and was with the company I bought her account from for several years.

"David this is Mrs. Jones, do you use CHEMICALS?? If so I want you to stop and only use biodegradable stuff. Otherwise I will have to make other arrangements." I hear her husband in the back ground yelling at her. The only part I could make out was "I have already paid him for the whole year!"

This woman was always very nice to me but she was a little over board with the environMENTAL stuff. She refused to except any of my literature last year because it was a waste of trees.

I don't even want to get into it with her about it. I am just going to call her to tell her it was a pleasure serving them and I hope they find someone that does not use any CHEMICALS. I will be happy to give them a refund.

David

2. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

She did read the contract she signed with you, right? :rolleyes:

3. DiscoveryLawn

Now that I am no longer in maintenance, I don't do contracts anymore.

David

4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Geez, contracts are even more important in applications. I would strongly recomend having a signature on file for all of your clients.

5. DiscoveryLawn

There is not a single fertilization company in our area that requires a contract for residentials anymore. Including Scotts and Trugreen. I would be the only fert company trying to get a contract. Regardless, I just do not see the need for them on residentials here in Ohio.

I do use contracts on commercial properties though.

David

6. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

You're doing straight apps and she wants to know if you're using chemicals? That's rich ...

7. greenoasis

greenoasis LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

What did she think you were spraying, water?

8. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

One should give her credit for trying to do something postive for the planet and her world around her....
    Instead of taking a negative position, let's look at this bird in the hand and see how this is a good thing...
    K?
    :)

1) They paid for the year...means they're on board

2) One just needs to explain, that you are HAPPY to provide an organic service to her- here's the cool thing....YOU get to UPSELL...plus she'll tell het friends- those ECO types tend to run in packs......

3) odds are since they paid UPFRONT they won't have an issue with a few extra hundred bucks to cover the cost of higher priced CLEAN product....

:waving:

Now here's the cool thing, you get to learn the part of our industry that is the future...in a few years all the fert aps will be gone and only organic will be allowed....it's a good thing, anyway. One needs not judge this as right or wrong, but only prepare for the future....
    So looks like you'll need to do some work on an organic program for her, AND her friends......

:waving:
    GP loves to make Lemonaide from Lemons....

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I can't believe that, either. In Mi, we are obligated by state law to keep a copy of our "agreements" with customers signatures. The state recognizes that the customer signature is their way of OK'ing the application of pesticides on their property. DiscoveryLawn - are you sure that this isn't the same in Ohio?

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

That's the best one I've heard in a long time :waving: