Are you really your own boss?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Jun 26, 2004.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I got to thinking the other day, and I always hear, "oh, I don't want to work for the man, I want to be my own boss." I know in our situation though, it sometimes doesn't feel like it. It feels so much like a regular job. There's no waking up on a Thursday and saying, "let's skip work today and go canoeing." We just can't do that. 19 lawns are on the schedule every thursday, we just can't miss it. We are so routine oriented, it's crazy. We carry such a full load that there isn't any leeway for taking time off. Honest to God it's like waking up to a 9 to 5 job, we know every day it's the same thing week in week out.
    Sure, we can set our own prices, choose our own customers for the most part. But once again, we can only "play" boss to a certain extent, because we can't become too high and mighty when choosing customers, or else we won't eat. Anyone else out there that's carrying a full load without employees that sometimes feel like they are punching a time clock?

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

im my own boss, but customers are also my boss! customers come first, then me. well school, customers, then me and my freetime!

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I am my own boss but I still get my weekends off and I am looking forward to the day a year or two from now when I am no longer part of the crew and I sit in the office all day and take phone calls and do estimates. Then I might be able to take a half day off and go fishing.

4. i know my situation is different from you and matt ..jodi ..im in the position i can tel any or all of my cilents to jerk off.

5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

LOL. im sure we can all say that, but will we be in business after that? i think not. lol you must have a ton of business rolling in! or won the lotto!

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Exactly what you said Odin In fact a few weeks ago we did just that we told 5 of them in one day to go F them selfs. And in one bold move 90% of our complaints were gone for the lost of 3% of our clinets and less then .5% of our income. Yes we work our butts off but it is our choice in fact today I blew off a 1000 dollar seeding job because I felt it was time I had a 2 day weekend.

7. Nope i have a uaw pension and a lifetime of schew investments ...i can go completely out of biz if i so choose to ...in fact im in the process of selling now ...wife and i will live our remaining lives in palermo sicily ..were we will raise our twin daughters who are 21 months old.

8. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

yes jodi this is first time since 1993 that i feel like this is like any other job , iam like you as i have so many lawns to do on certain days and customers can almost set there watch as what time i will be at their house , i have thought honestly about leaving this biz after this year but i know it would be hard working for the man after working for your self for so long..... and to be honest i dont think i would be able to find another job that pays as much as this one . Plus if it dont snow after leaf cleanup we do get alot of free time to ourselfs

9. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Telling a new sale expect to see us sometime in the next three weeks feels way better than
    being expected to be there on a certain day every week. I feel your pain.

10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

it feels sometimes like a job i might of had before, but being my own boss, I make morepayup payup for less hours. ofcourse i have 80 people to answer to if i stay home........