Are you staying in the biz?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mike Leary, May 31, 2007.

1. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Bic brings up a interesting point...are most of you getting close to retiring?
    Have you trained someone to take over? Are you going to micro-manage?
    Are you considering change in trade? Do you think, after working for a
    contractor, you can buy & run the show?

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

the old guy(67) that sold my boss 300 + accounts...Now he is servicing accounts and loving it....He wants nothing to do with the installs.but he keeps people off our backs while we are installing..

which works..

3. Mike Leary

And we continue to learn from you ROTAR.

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

mike whats the hap jack???feeling blue today??

you are overly positive...

5. Mike Leary

Not feeling anything except my non-interest in self important knotheads.

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

you got any GRAVY to go with your DRY HUMOR????????????

7. Mike Leary

Self important pups use LOTS of gravy on their 1804s.

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

Dude, how old are you?? and your trolling someone prob half your age on an internet message board dealing with irrigation....

sorry to say this...

GROW UP!!!!

THANKS,

LAWNSITE

9. I'm training people to take over. Figure I can split my business among two to three people. First kid i trained started when he was 19 now he is 22 and made good money last year running his own service truck. Working on my second trainee now. I think it takes two summers to get them adequately trained and get a lot of customer exposure. Hopefully i can get it to the point I only teach and advise. I'm getting too old for the actual work. It is definitely young man's work.

10. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I started in Golf and learned most of what I know in golf. Working res/com has been educational, but I never really realized how much I missed it until the contact asking if I was interested in this job a year after they told me they didn't want me. Believe it or not, Golf may be worse than dedicated irrigation. The hours are as bad, the uncertainty of working for others (who don't really have a clue and know it) is much worse. The sad truth is that my other skills are great, this is something I know I am truly adequate at. I may never move up the ladder to a ritz culb, but the old school training make this type of job/challenge my own niche. (near zero budget and high expectation client base) The golf industry is in as bad a straights as this one though. The new pup's all have degree's and attitude's and no real experience to back it up. Don't fix the actual problem. Apply the problem away. Chemicals, chemicals and more chemicals. Just like the number of guys out there who can still take a mech clock apart, clean a micro switch and put it all back together are almost things of the past.