Are you treated like a pro ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastlane, Mar 26, 2002.

1. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Do your "professional" customers (or reg customers) consider you a pro. I did a job for the guy that fixes my car. Removed 30 arborvitae 15' tall. charged $350.(cheap ?) He agreed to price. He had fit when neighbor told him it only took 2 hours.1.25 to pull out with truck .45 to cut off trunk and load on trailer. I planded on a lot longer. This guy rents garage from me.He charges $55 hour has 60-70k of equipnent. when flatrate book says 2hr he charges 2hr even if it took 1hr. I have.70k in equipment and he think I should get $15 an hour, does't consider me a pro.

2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

the guy should respect your price...regardless, like you respect his prices.

3. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Get your money and let him find someone else to do any further work. Did he factor the time you were away dumping, dumping fees, and such?

I do not argue or dicker with prices. I had one customer last year that installed a large in ground pool, said I should charge less since I have less to mow, I noted to him that I now have more to trim which takes linger than the mowing. He kept wanting to debate price, i sent a letter stating his contract was up for renewal and increased his price, he choose to have some else do his lawn, just as I planned. :D

4. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I go through that a lot in my area too. People around here seem fixated in an "hourly wage" frame of mind. I feel that if the job is worth $350 it's worth $350 no matter how long it takes! If you spent 70k on equipment so you can get it done in 20 min. compared to a guy with a hand saw spending 9hrs, then that should be up to you as the "pro" to decide. I always tell people "i charge for the job, not by the hour", but they still give me lip sometimes.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good point Brian...most (if not all) customers don't realize the investment in equipment we have. People can not fathom that a commercial mower can cost 10K or more, truck 30K or more, and on and on or more too no matter what it is.

Gotta educate 'em...one at a time.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

dont happen much but if a customer indicates im his yd boy,
    theres always the option of putting him on the spot.
    just something indicating u think he is not the brightest
    person around .smile while looking him dead in the eye
    as u say it.this in itself is not very professional.
    but there is a time an place for everything.most time its best to not worry to much about what he thinks of u ,long as his checks are good.

7. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

NO

8. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

You become a professional the second you get paid to do work for someone. They should treat you accordingly.

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunatly, IMHO no matter what we do we will always be considered "the lawn boy". I do my best to look and act professional but most people only seem to care about the cost. I think they figure "how hard can it be to cut grass" This is not fair at all and the "lowballers and scrubs" don't help our image either. I say just continue to look and do your best. Good luck

10. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I had a guy today ask me to use my $10,000 sweeper on his lawn to remove winter gravel. He figured $20 would be lots because it would only take me 5 minutes to do it. I asked him how long it would take with a rake by hand, he said it would take him all day. I said great I will charge what he gets paid for a day's wages and we will both be happy. He said he would have to discuss it with his wife. I'm thinking he can do it with his wife and two rakes when I drive past him.