1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are your blades really balanced?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Sep 5, 2007.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

If you balance your blades perfectly and mow a few hours, does the grass and crud build up on the blade itself unbalance it? Is balancing a blade truly that important? Some say no, some say yes.
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I dont balance all of the time...just after a few sharpenings.
  3. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

We balance with every sharpening, I think it makes a difference. Mostly in the uneven wear of the spindle. JMO
  4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I don't think it has to be "perfect". But you don't want it WAY out of balance.
  5. never ever have.
  6. MarksTLC

MarksTLC LawnSite Member

I balance them with each sharpening. It only takes a second and I figure it can't hurt.
  7. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Think about it this way -
    The blade on anything from a 21" walk behind on up represents a massive reciprocating mass, why wouldn't one balance a blade to avoid unneeded and unnecessary stress to the motor, spindles, belts, etc?
    I use a Magna-Matic balancer instead of those cheap cone type balancers.
    The difference a truly balanced blade has had on the equipment is remarkable.
    The machine is much more quiet, vibration is essentially eliminated, runs cooler, cuts better and uses less fuel.
    Once the blade is balanced on the Magna-Matic which at first may take some time, repeated sharpening/balancing occurs pretty fast.
    And never assume factory blades are balanced as I have yet to encounter one in the eighteen years I have been in this industry.
  9. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

I balance with every sharpening. I recently purchased new blades. I put them right on my 60” Turbo Force deck. The vibration seemed to be higher then normal. I ended up pulling them off, re-sharpened since they were off, and the difference after balance was night and day. I believe the vibration that was there wouldn’t hurt the spindles but the vibration level into other parts of the mower could cause parts to come loose or fall off and wear things faster due to this added movement.

I believe the little added effort is well worth the time.

Eric D
  10. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Havent balanced a blade yet, floating decks mean I dont have to deal with the vibration and I have put almost 500 hours on my gravely 44z deck with no spindle failures yet. I figure if I get about 1000 hours out of the spindles then that is remarkable for not balancing a blade. Balancers are expensive for a good one and really on the small blades I use for my 44z (16 3/4'') I dont think out of balance is that bad. Now if I ran 1 or 2 72'' decks where each blade is 27 inches or so, I would absolutely balance them.