Are your clients home when you service their acount?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Nov 7, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I have been getting a lot of senior citizens as new clients, and just last week i had three people standing outside watching me and my crew work. This doesn't bother me all that much anymore, guess they don't have much to do. I was wondering if this is common in this area or in general Florida?

2. premierlawncare

premierlawncare LawnSite Member

I dont like when they are home. I have a bunch that want to come out and talk or ask for free services. I am thinking about asking potential customers during estimates if they work from home or at home during the day and then charge a little more. I dont like them taking up time so I will charge accordingly.

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

About 60% of mine are home when Im there and I prefer them not to be. Like the above poster said, want to talk or ask you for freebies. Some I just have to tell them "I have got to get to work" or you would never get away.

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

i dont like them watching me like i might break in and steal somthing

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

this is classic florida senior behaviour. you are right -they dont have anything else to do. wait till they get upset when you dont come exactly at the same time each visit! like it or not your trips will decome part of their routine. better get used to it. a large part of my biz is seniors so i learned to go with the flow when dealing with them. only problem i have with some of them is they dont like mulching or dont believe in using blowers etc

6. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

I don't mind them watching me, as long as they start talking up a storm during or after I mow, a kind "thank-you" is always nice, though.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

thats right on the money. Monday is the day the lawn guy comes so I cant .......

8. mak2

mak2 LawnSite Senior Member

when they watch me I always pull wheelies on my Z

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

thats when its time for a schedule adjustment and bump them to the day that they go shopping or to the senior center.

10. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

they get over it .... after the 2nd-3rd year .... they stay in or whatever .... even when the do .... what's the issue ... we are a service industry ... heat of the summer it's usually with water or tea .... quick note of how hot it is ... n if they want extra work .... give em a quick quote n off ya go

ya treat em right .... n they pay .... it's all good ... these are the long term customers ... I'd say of my customers whom are 65+ years of age I've had 6+ years ....n the new ones I keep the first 2-3 years ... they too fall into that stat as the years roll by

at first they watch .... too watch ... they don't know you ... few season's later .... there out there with water, tea, sandwiches n the first to give x-mas $$ to the guys ....

they are also the first to give your number out if you treat em right ... my dad's a "senior" n when the plumer, roof, dock, or whom ever comes out to do work on his house ... he comes out gives a chat n than goes back to msnbc or cnn