1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are your employees smarter than mine.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The mayor, Apr 17, 2007.

1. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have one guy that just doesn't get it. I explain to him everyday that the 21" mower is self propelled. Everyday I see him strugging with the mowerbecause he forgets to engage the unit. I just let him struggle now. I enjoy watching him pushing it up hills. I have everything that runs 2 strokes labeled with green tags that say mix...It matches the gas can. Also the can says for trimmers and blowers only. I caught him putting straight gas in a trimmer. I saw it before he started the trimmer. And for the topper. I am mowing on one yard, he is across the street with my 62" toro. I can hear over my mower his making a horrible grinding noise. I run over and make him shut it off. Middle spindle went bad. I said "Couldn't you hear that" His reply. "Sure but it is still running it can't be that bad". Today was his last day.
  2. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Deaf and dumb.....thankfully he's not blind. Prayers to him.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, that's pretty sad... I can't believe that people can be THAT dumb.

Best of luck finding a new guy!
  4. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you did the right thing for your wallet and your company.
  5. GFTC

GFTC LawnSite Member

I caught a new groundmen using his foot as a push-stick on the chipper. He didn't have a job the next day. And yes, he was trained on the proper use of a chipper, just not all that smart.
  6. marckxman

marckxman LawnSite Member

Holy crap. That is a man with a promising career as "Greeter at Walmart" written all over him.
  7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

And I felt like an idiot after having locked my keys in the truck a couple days ago. Guess I have a little less to worry about! Some folks just don't have it, that's all there is to it.
  8. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like he may have been dropped as a child
  9. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

There was a time when I was the Dumb employee so you guys better watch it, lol.

one time, I was a trucker and I guess I tried taking off with the air brakes on and it stalled the engine and then the engine started running backwards but it was running rough so I started pumping the gas. Exhaust coming out the air filter (or so says the Boss), he comes running out yelling 'Turn it off, Turn it off" How am I suppossed to know these things run backwards? I still can't believe it.

another time I'm backing in the 40 ft trailer into a roofed warehouse, but it was so sunny out side and so dark inside that I couldn't really see anything... so naturally I keep backing up and ofcourse I'm on an angle. I knock over a supporting beam in the warehouse and the roof is sagging. wtf! we had to put about 20 pallets on a forlift to lift the roof to where we could walk the wooden beam back underneath.

another time a guy is giving me hand signals. Backing me up, backing me up. This is kind of boring so I look out the other mirror and when I looked back in the first mirror the guy is waving me off STOP STOP then BANG! I hit a balcony and shook the building. Made a big hole in the bricks and every body else that had a balcony came out and looked..
  10. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

I can relate. One of my guys was checking a power rake for oil level today and a few minutes later I said, let's gas her up, he then asks me, is it mixed gas...:confused: :cry: I said we just checked the oil, so no, it's not mixed.. :hammerhead: This guy prolly has some brain damage I think, cause he doesn't remember things from one day to the next, but man is he a hard worker, so I keep him around me so he doesn't hurt or kill someone or a machine...lol. :)