Are your flower installs not as good as last year?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GarPA, Jul 10, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

whats up with the annuals this year?? We've put in about 1000 flowers on different commercial properties so far. Most are wave petunias. In prior years our flower displays were were some of the best in the area. We take great care in planting the 4 inch plants and fertilize them with starter for a couple weeks and then Peters Super bloom...I think its 10 50 10. One of our displays was actually written about in one of our local nursery publications.

Yesterday I checked on a few of the properties where we have at least a hundred waves at each location. THe plants are just sitting there...virtually no growth since they were put in over a month ago. I've done allot of flower installs over the years and have NEVER seen so many plants struggle to reach their potential. I'm guessing that the goofy weather this spring is the problem in that we went from cool and wet to 90 degrees and dry in a period of 10 days. Would love to hear from you if you are having the same problems and what you think the remedy might be. thanks??

2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Same thing here. The cold spring weather really sets annuals back, sometimes to the point where it takes most of the season for them to recover.

Mike

3. GarPA

from PA

whew!!!..well at least I know its not me that planted them wrong....I was starting to think maybe the growers gave us bad plants. On that subject our biggest plant supplier was not happy with their grower this year as their waves came in leggy and anemic looking. Man what a 12 months or so we've all had with mother nature being off her rocker.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

You have to keep in mind that when annuals are grown, they are kept in greenhouses. If they are not hardened off (which was hard to do with as cold of temps as we were having) they will be slow to start. They'll just sit in the ground and do nothing until it warms up. Also, if the ground is saturated, there is a good chance you'll experience some root rot. When I get leggy petunias I just pinch them back as I'm planting them. It seems to produce a better plant. I've had a love/hate relationship Ma Nature for some time now. I learned not to fight with her. Good luck!

Mike

5. GarPA

from PA

Mike...yes I also cut them back pretty hard when I plant them to let the plants strength go to root devepment instead of the blooms and the long "legs".

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Boy I guees I am in a different boat here. What we planted, not nearly as much as some of you, has received no attention except water. Drove over to a location, to trim the hedges, yesterday and was amazed at the growth in less then a month. Everything was full and in bllom. Place looked much better this year then last year at the same time.

Planting flowers is not my specialty. I only do it at a few locations for some significant customers.

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

All the wave petunias either didnt grow or dies in this area this year. The nursery wher ei bought all mine from told me its a disease in the soil that was killing them.

8. GarPA

from PA

disease in the soil...man thats weird. I went and checked on some more yesterday and some were fine and others are spindly and have barely grown in almost 2 months...I have never seen flowers struggle so much in all the years I've been planting. I have about 100 red wax begonias that are also looking bad...leaves are brown and deformed and almost no blooms. I'm thinking about doing starter fert again on them but its been raining again and I'm afraid we may already have root rot. Some of my customers are not happy about it and I dont blame them as they have spent a chunk of money to have these displays put in. Think I might take some samples to my local ag office and see what they think. I dont want to give up on them but maybe theres nothing I can do...

9. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

Maybe too much rain?

10. Georgiehopper

Georgiehopper LawnSite Member

Definitely been too wet. I have wave petunias too.... some of them are succumbing to soil fungus diseases. Its from all the rain that we have had for almost 3 months.