Are your residential customers happy with side discharge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Exact Rototilling, Jan 20, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Residential customers + side discharge = :nono: :realmad: or :cry:

I have always bagged or mulched with a 21" so I have nothing to compare it to. Just want to be prepared with potential customer responses.

How many of you merely side discharge with your WB 36", 44", 48" etc. I have a new never used on grass Quick 36 waiting for Spring mowing?

Is this why I need a Sthil BR 600?

2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Use Gators. You can side discharge with them and no clippings are visible. Every once in a while you may have some clippings that will need to be scattered with the blower, but it is never too much or too often.

3. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

my customers don't care what i do as long as it looks good when i live..

4. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

x2 and if they did want me to bag i would tell the to find someone else to mow their lawn ..bagging is not something i wanna deal with

5. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

NO.

Can't do it. I won't do it. It looks like hell unless your talking about those times of year when the grass isn't really growing and nobody can tell. But those are also the best times to mulch and/or bag.

I tried side discharge with my 36 toro last spring, while I was waiting for my mulch kit.. I gave up even trying, Double, triple cut, people with fert on their lawns and rain or irrigation,you leave a carpet of cut grass all over their lawn. I remember going over and over blowing into the centre with the 36 then raking and bagging the clippings.

Side Discharge ONE yard during the heavy growing season and you might not ever do it again. And you can't blow that grass into the lawn, its' not even mulched.

Everyone HERE wants it bagged. Bagging is better they tell me.:(

6. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on the customer. I only have 1 that requests that I only bag. The rest i SD 80% of the time and just bag sections when a double cut doesn't clean it up.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not sure who told you that but everything I've ever read said is it is way better to discharge.

I discharge virtually everything and leave no visible clippings laying on top.

8. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I side discharge, but I also dont leave the lawn looking like a mess. Bagging everytime is NOT healthy for a lawn at all.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I can see me bagging 500 or so acres a week...NOT!

10. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I only bag one yard on a consistent basis. Other then that, unless its the spring and its tall or wet, its getting discharged.

Bii8379, tell your customers to do their homework. When you dont bag you are returning valuable nutrients back into the turf, the most of important of which is nitrogen, which just so happens is what keeps their grass green.

Tell them to leave the lawncare up to the pros.