1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Are your schedules filled to max capacity and it rains?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, Nov 19, 2003.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

How are you handling your schedules? Do you have 30 accounts a day with a crew running 7 days a week or do you leave 1 day off just in case of rain?

What do you do if you have a maxed out schedule and it rains a day or two? Where do you find the time or are you planning a free day in your week to make up for this?

I was just wondering for the companies that work sunup to sundown with little time for rain delays. Are you calling the customer or pushing everyone back a few days?
  2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I work by myself and i do about 10 a day between MON and THUR, leaving Fri clear just in case it rains or i have a side job to do that doesnt involve mowing.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

usually I just bump around the lawns if it rains. For example, if it rains for 2 days straight, what we do is put the thicker lawns on a higher priority and they get done first, then the thinner lawns are completed afterwards.

But if the rain is like horrible for 3 to 5 days straight non stop, what we do then is mow in the rain the thinner lawns (if rain is light enough) and call up the other customers telling them that their lawns will be completed as soon as the rain stops.
  4. RyanVT2005

RyanVT2005 LawnSite Member
    from VA

I think that if you are working 7 days a week you are only hurting yourself and your employees if you have some. If you can't get all of your work done in 5 or 6 days with good weather you are running yourself in the ground.
  5. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

I would agree with your post Ryan. I like to leave 1 day off min. just in case. Just was wondering if anyone was operating like that though.