Are Zero Turns WOrth the Cash??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by projunkracing, May 8, 2006.

1. projunkracing

projunkracing LawnSite Member

Ok I work for somebody , but my boss is so cheap all we have is All walk behinds. He does Not believe in Velke's SO I walk All day long . Question for you guys was how did you decide to get zero turns?? did your productivity go up or what? He just is cheap granted it digs into his pocket but dont you figure get done faster= more time for new lawns. New Lawns - more cash ?

well just curious.

2. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Of course they are worth it. Who in their right mind would want to beat themselves to death all day long needlessly.

ZTR's are fast, durable, good cutting, and worth the money.

I cannot image buying a WB.

MY humble opinion.

Tim

3. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Tim,

I guess the key here is: the owner does not beat himself to death all day - he lets the employees do that! When they burn out, he will get new employees!

To answer the question, I agree with Tim. They are very worth it, but only if the lawns warrant the machine. It depends totally on the type of contracts you are doing. WBs have their place and are likely more efficient on many lawns. For what I do, I won't be chasing any WB around!!

deej

4. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

To me they are. If it can't be cut with a ZTR, I am not the one to call.

FWIW, I don't bag either.

5. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

They are over priced in my opinion though, and must have a huge profit margin.

That being said....I consider my JD 757 a power unit that happens to have a mower deck and utilize it for fertilizing, and am fabricating a 25 gallon low volume boom sprayer as well....

So.....yeah....but 80 grand for these things? Please.

I'll tell you this too and some will disagree and whatever but we all use these 60 inch beasts on lawns that they dont belong on in a million years too. I know I do....but thats because I dont have a wb in my arsenal yet.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

if your boss has you guys doing 20 accts aday with wb's, he could easily get close to 30 out of you guys with a Lazer.

In todays market a walkbehind just doesn't cut enough grass to make enough money.

7. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

When I first started, I would have said "Yes absolutely worth the money", but now after being in this for a while, I think it's more of a case of personal preference. A ZTR is absolutely faster then the same size WB. But it also is twice and in some cases three times as heavy, this adds wear and tear on the transport equipment ie truck/trailer and fuel cost due to the heavier load. The ZTR is also, larger therefore taking up more space on the trailer and requiring a larger trailer if you carry multiple units. On the other hand a ZTR is much easier / comfortable on the operator. If you get into trouble with a WB all you have to do is step off the sulkie or just let go of the machine, this is a little bit different on a ZTR with or without ROPS. As long as you keep the mower set up properly there should be no difference in the quality of cut between a WB and a ZTR. I would never run a WB with out a sulky and I would never ask any one on my crew to run a WB with out a sulky. Walking does not produce enough money and broken ankles are too expensive. I have no regrets about buying my ZTRs and they are used every day, but in a couple of years when they are beyond being rebuilt again, I'm not sure at this time if I'll buy more ZTRs or just buy WBs of the same size. Just my opinion.:waving:

8. K c m

K c m LawnSite Senior Member

I beg to differ with you pal. All I use is a 36 and a 48 w/velkie. I cut side by sides and row houses. But i own whole streets. 1 street of 13 row houses can easily be cut trimmed and blown in about 2 hours. row houses run 15 dollars. side by sides run 18 and single little homes cost 20. I don't do anything greater then 40$. And just so you guys don't get me wrong I have paid straight cash for college and I am a 1 man crew. :weightlifter:

9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I will take my 48" lazer and my Gravely 34Z and run circles around you. We use to use nothing but WB's till we decided to try a new lazer. We cant understand how anybody could possibly want to run WB's anymore with the increased speed in which we can do our lawns.

Example: We have 5 lawns in 1 spot. 4 of the 5 are 1 acre each. The 5th is 2 acres so thats a tottal of 6 acres. With the 48 lazer and 34Z my father and I cut them, trim and blow off and are gone in 1hr 45min in the spring and 1hr 15min in the summer. With your 2 mowers going on the same properties you can expect to double that amount of time.

10. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

i have a mechanical back ground, if they made a tool, specialty tool, doesnt matter if there was a easier faster way to get **** done i did it. wb works great for a trim mower, but really its a no brainer, a hydro wb is going to run you $4-$5K my rider was $6,300 if you can sit on your ass all day and acomoplish more than when you walked all day i dont understand the confusion. when i was a mechanic i didnt grab a wrench i used a impact gun. my customers have come outside to make comments about how much they liked my new mower, and one monthly account makes the mower payment!