Area Calculating Wheel DG-1

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MDLawnman, Mar 14, 2005.

1. MDLawnman

MDLawnman LawnSite Member

I found this device advertised in the back of Lawn & Landscape Magazine.

http://www.measurearea.com/index.html

It's supposed to calculate the square footage of an odd shaped area simply by running the wheel around it. Does anyone have any experience with this device? Or better yet does anyone know the correct mathematical formula for calculating the square footage of an odd shaped area, like a kidney shaped garden bed? There has to be a better way then "rounding the area off to a rectangle or square".

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ummm, yeah, it's called Geometry... the area of pretty much any shape can be figured if you know where to measure and the formulas to calculate it by. Fertilizing a lawn is not rocket science and it dosn't really need to be that accurately measured to get a good idea of the sq footage. Generally for this rounding it off is perfectly fine. Now if you are talking about ordering expensive rock to fill odd shaped landscape beds then, yeah, get a more accurite measurement. I think I have seen one of those area measuring wheels before on tv or somewhere. pretty neat, if the cost isn't bad I'd say get one of those over a regular measuring wheel, certianly more versitile.