Area Competition trying to move in on other LCO jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MOOSE, Mar 21, 2003.

1. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Was out today doing my first spring cleanup and mulch today. Client has been with my family for 32 years. I noticed a stake truck with 2 guys putting flyers out. They were actually putting the flyers in the flag of the mailbox. I yelled to them it was illegal to put them on the mailbox or in the box. They didn't hear me and drove off, 30 seconds later they were back asking me what I said. So I repeated myself. Told them what they were doing was Illegal. They said mailman said it was ok to put them in between flag & box. And I said wrong. They drove away thinking it was ok to do so. Well I took flyer off my clients mailbox to take a looksy and it said $20 for most lawns. My reaction was SCRUBS.

I couldn't believe it, $20.
    Not only the $20 a cut but they even left a flyer at my clients home thinking they could get the job and I would be out a job.

About a hour later the mailman pulled up to drop mail. So, I asked him and he said no that they never asked him. And I also asked him about the flyers and he said it is ILLEGAL to put anything on mailboxes.

Just thought I'd share it with all ya!
  2. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

Not trying to start anything but what made you decide that they are scrubs?
  3. LCAmerica2

LCAmerica2 LawnSite Member

well im from michigan and we put out 10,000 flyers a year all on mailboxes and nver had a complaint yet. adding to that i do hate wheen other companies pull your flyer off and put their on. Pisses me off !
  4. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

10, 00 flyers, all on mailboxes? Will you still be bragging when they make you pay for 10, 000 stamps?
  5. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

Kind of what I thought, pulling someone else's flier sounds scrubby to me. I really don't understand the whole, that guy charges less than me so he must be a scrub.
  6. LCAmerica2

NO. are you crazy. id be broke if i sent that many out.
    the guys hand deliver during the winter months.
    in areas that are alredy established sir.:)
  7. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

No I did not remove them permantly. I took it off to read. I know that it will evantually be gone somehow. My client is in Florida until middle of April.

I thought they were scrubs due to old stake truck, no company lettering or signs, no employee t-shirts or hats. And I never heard of the company plus giving a price of $20 a cut. Some guys get into this and really don't know how much to charge at first.
    If your gonna do it, do it professionally. Sorry, should've thought a little more before making that statement.

Sorry if I offened anyone. LCAmerica2, I give you credit for putting out that many flyers every year. Great advertisment.
  8. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

LCAmerica2 - lots of hard work to put out that many fliers by hand. Just a word of caution though, it is illegal to put, affix or otherwise attach ANYTHING to the mailbox (including flag and stand). You're lucky that no one has complained. Usually the Post Office will call you and give you a verbal on the first offense - although I have seen them fine people and make them pay postage for every flier they see/get a complaint about. Not knocking you at all - just trying to give you some info that may save you trouble later on. I know that it can be hard to hand out fliers in areas were people have mailboxes - instead of door to door.
  9. LCAmerica2

Thanks i think you jinxed me. Just so happenes i got a letter in the mail from the postmaster today. it said and i quote:
    Recently, a letter carrier of the sterling heights post office found letters withoutpostage distributed in or attached to mailboxes.

In accordance with these violations you are requested to pay $370.00 postage due for 100 pieces found in or attached to the mailboxes on march 19 2003. this amonut includes payments past due for previous notices. they gave me 10 days to pay.
    so ill have to find another way or just stay away from sterling heights.
  10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Dohh, that hurts. I feel sorry for the first customer you get. Somebody has to pay for that.