area measurements in square feet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Aug 24, 2001.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i have and back lawn that is 165'across and 154'down by 88'across and 160'.
    i come up with 19,780 sq. feet
    what do you guys come up with
  2. ant why don't you just call it 20,000 sq ft and call it even.

btw I got 19,745

3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Without a diagram this doesn't make sense. I'm only guessing you measured the 4 sides of an area that is not a rectangle and are trying to average the length and width.

Weather I average it or try to make a rectangle and a triangle out of it it appears you are close enough.

Gounds Maintenance magazine, Feb 1988 had a page of formulas for calculating area including diagrams of irregular areas and how to break them down do a recognizable shape trhat has a formula.

Good old fashioned geometry will do the trick.
  4. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

thanks for the replys
    hay harold,why are you not working with this fine day aroung the garden state?(i am going to the shore with the kids)
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

If I'm correct, which I hope I am since it's what I learned in school and have been using for 30 years. You figure your area, square footage, by taking length x width correct. So what you're telling me is you have two areas you measured in the yard correct? One area is 165' x 154' and the other area is 88' x 160'. Is this what you are saying?
    If it is, then 165' x 154' = 25,410
    And then,88' x 160' = 14,080
    That gives you a total of 39,490. Not quite an acre. An acre is 43,560.
    If I am missing something here let me know, I don't know how you guys got those numbers?
  6. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm heading to the shore after I pick up some UPS shipment at Lesco at 10:30
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I see what you mean now ant. Something like that I would get it as close as you can and leave it at that. I would say like LGF and put it at 20,000. Nice easy numbers.

CODYHEATHER LawnSite Member

My computer tells me that it is a total of 18,869 ft2. Of course my computer has never lied to me! Yea right.
  9. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

Add all sides and divide by 4. Then take that number times itself. This will give you the area squared. Or square footage.

Example: 165 + 154 + 88 + 160 = 567

567 divided by 4 = 141.75

141.75 x 141.75 = 20093.0625 sq.ft.
    Of course you would just round to the nearest hundreth, ie; 20100. Hope this helps.
  10. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I forgot to add; You can measure the total peremeter and divide by four and multiply the product by itself also.
    I use a measurement wheel and do the math. I've had customers try to tell me that they had "a little over an acre", (quote-unquote) and by doing it this way it was over 2 acres. I could have cheated myself out of a sizable amount of money if I hadn't done the proper math before mowing.
    Hope this helps.