1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

areating

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Something D, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Something D

Something D LawnSite Member
    from East TN

What is the best time of year to areate a yard and what is the going rate for 1/2 acre level ground very little obstacles?

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Early Fall at about 250 bucks to do the job IMO.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Actually in this part of the world it depends on the grass type you are aerating.
    Bermuda/Zoysia=Mid April to end of August
    Fescue=March and Mid Sept thru Mid Nov.

And Rod's price is right in line with mine.

4. rodfather

Hmmm...good point Eric, I hadn't thought of that.

5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

If once a year on cool weather turf I would say the late Summer/Fall. It can be done in the Spring, but I have always believed the best time to be at the end of the growing season. It would also be the best time to overseed as long as you do it early enough to grow a hardy stand of grass and it is ready for winter.
    As for the going price that is going to depend on your costs (do you have to rent a machine?, are you using a tow behind or walk behind?, If walk behind a drum unit or split drum?
    Some on here say 3 times the mowing costs.

6. rodfather

I have never understood that analogy. :confused:

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, me either. Its a good way for people that don't know their expenses and all their numbers. They can assume they are making money, just not sure how much.

8. rodfather

Well under that analogy Eric, they would have to be making approximately 80 or 85 bucks to mow 1/2 acre of lawn...now we know that ain't gonna happen...even up here where I work! :laugh:

9. Old Hippy

Old Hippy LawnSite Member

The timing for aeration depends on the type of grass and your location. Fall is a good time for cool season grasses. If you are trying to control a thatch problem with aeration you may be in there several times a year till you get the problem under control. But, it beats dethatching all over the place.

Pricing is a real question..Normally 2.5 to 3 times what you charge to mow is good. But it is also market driven. Prices vary all over the US. Here in Nowhere Nebraska some "Idiot" is going around doing lawns for $35. I do not know how he is paying for his gas.

I just try to charge by the job as part of a program and not by the square foot. That way I do not have to go measure the lawn. New lawns you should at least go look at. But a quality service is worth more than the guy runiing around doing it for $35. A washing machine repair dude won't even come give you a repair estimate for $35.

The Old Hippy from Nebraska

10. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

TIMING? When to aerate?
    This is my opinion. Yes I know that warm season turf is better to aerate in spring and cool season turf is better to aerate in the fall. However with the uneducated consumers that have seen truegeeeen and used true green they seem to think that aeration is best in spring for cool season turf.
    I tend to fall in line with this. If I have Mrs. Smith call me for aeration this spring, what are the chances that I am going to sell her on this in fall??
    None she has her mind made up already, that is why she is calling.
    If she dosen't receive service from me, she will find some one else that will perform.
    Therefor I sell aeration from march till November.
    I can attest to spring aeration having one advantage. In our clay soil it keeps the water from running off the turf as fast.
    as for cost I charge 25+ 10 per thou. Now if I have saturated an area with fliers that I know I will get a min of 10-30 calls I forgo the 25 stop fee.
    On the postage stamp 3500 sq ft we have I can do 3 per hour give or take any slope.