1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Areation prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Apr 1, 2004.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

I read somewhere that a going rate to aerate is triple the mowing rate, is that a common thought among the people on this board?

If so, how do you justify that much? It doesn't take any longer than mowing, there is no trimming or blowing, and the equipment needed doesn't cost as much as a nice commercial mower. Heck, an old garden tractor and a decent aerator will do the job.

Maybe I'm missing something here...................

Joel B.
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Most but not all companys use the gas powered hand areators and in which case will take 3 times as long and 20 times the amount of work than it would to just simply cut, trim and blow off a lawn.
  3. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Now I understand, I guess I assumed people would use a tow behind 48" model and run over the lawn in no time.

Let me pose this question then:

If you used a tow behind model that took the same amount of time as mowing, would the price be the same as mowing?
  4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

No, because you will still need to use a WB aerator to get to place the tow behind can't. Generally, straight aerating prices go around 10 - 12 bucks per thousand square feet with a minimum as well (usually $50 or so).
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I charge $10 per k
  6. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

and ya aint gonna poke a hole thru the cable/phone line while mowing either. Or a sprinkler head. Assuming that you have everything marked there is still a chance of busting something. Risk has some weight in pricing this also. I would much rather be a mowin then aerating so that drives the price up also. Remember time isn't everything and for god's sake don't drive the price down, PLease. What about the machine when it sits for all those months without being used. It aint gonna pay for its self charging mowing rates. thats my 1 1/2 cents.