Arena for chinchbugs

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenThumb11, Oct 16, 2012.

1. the_bug_guy

the_bug_guy LawnSite Member

if you read the label on dominion the high rate is .6 perk but u can only put it out one time a year.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

You bring up a Great point here, Our Area is Open Grub Country so we use Arena to target Grubs. The Bug Guy is in Resistant Chinch bug country as is almost all of Central Florida. They don't have any where near the Grub Problem we have had for Years & Years. But for the last several years they have been fight resistant Chinch Bugs.

But Main Point is EACH AREA IS DIFFERENT. What works for Me might not work for you just 25 miles away from me. We can't tell someone in Banger Maine what to use or what their problem is.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Dave

You and I are old school and use Old School methods. Why Because we know they work. We know not only to use Liquids for a fast insect knock down, but use enough carrier to reach are target. In fact you might use more carrier than I do at 5 to 6 GPK. We also both use WANDS not Guns because we can stick that Flat fan nozzle about 16 to 18 inches off the ground and force our carries into the turf.

Liquid Fertilizer is the same story. A lot of Carrier prevents burn and eliminates stripping completely.

I won't use a Granular Fungicide because it has a hard time getting into the Plant.

If worst comes to worst, get out the hose end sprayer IMHO before using Granules.

4. jds912

jds912 LawnSite Member

went by yard today that i put arena down two weeks ago for sod web worms. no damage. yards around him definently showing signs of webworms. seems some have gotten worse in the last few days. i have a calibration box that i used to calibrate at the 3lb. per 1000 sq. ft. i used 12.5# of product, give or take a few ounces, on a little over 4000 sq. ft. of st. augustine grass. yard was irrigated with about half inch of water the morning after i applied. has rained 2-3 inches since, irrigation has been off since watering in granules. brown patch popping up every where here, not in this yard as of yet. i applied .75 pound of nitrogen per thousand 3 times since april. 1.3 pounds of pottassium per 1000 with nitrogen 3 times. excellent micro package in the fertilizer mix i used. soil test taken last weekend, shall see what else i need or dont need.

5. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

It is starting to show signs here in lawns with history of it. Started seeing the last two weeks roughly. The night time lows have finally been low enough for it to thrive I guess. I am just hoping we do not get flooded with rain like we did this time last year (13 inches over a Sat. and Sunday if I recall correctly) to create more of a favorable environment along with the cooler temps. It is suppose to be a low of 60 over the weekend so I am suspecting I am going to be making more calls next week to get follow ups on BP.