Aren't We The Same As Other Service People?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIMOW525, Apr 2, 2004.

1. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

Just a little vent post, so to speak. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have the heater guy come out and fix the heating or a/c, he gets paid when he's done correct? Well my dilemma is that people call for an est. for landscaping, give them a price, get your 1/3 or 1/2, what ever you specify, do the job and all of the sudden your done, and make out the bill for the remaining monies owed, and people say, "Thanks, I'll put that in the mail for you" ?? Well gee thanks! I'm done, got paid for half the job and have to wait 3-4 days for the rest of the money? Maybe I need to be a little more strict about the way I am paid. I dunno. I still have people that owe for snow removal in Feb! That isn't so bad but when you money out for time and materials and have to wait for the rest of the money in the mail, kinda irks me. And its always not the very next day it goes in the mail but like 3 or 4 days and then its in the mail. Even better is if you do work for a company and have to "wait for the billing cycle" or something. Do they tell the same thing to the heater people and they also wait till the end of the month for their check too? Or the telephone co. waits till its time for a company to write checks even though its past the due date? Aside for saying never do work for that person again, what are some things that you others have done in these situations. I'm trying to be professional here so none of the "pull up half of the bushes till you get paid" stuff. Thanks for the comments.

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

If you are getting the rest of the money on a consistant basis, dont sweat it. If a heating and A/C guy came to my house and fixed something and I told him to bill me, what is he going to do? Steal my china? Trust me, he would then bill me.

3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Its all part of the cash flow battle. You need to forsee issues that could bind your flow and have reserves on hand for WHEN it happens.

4. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

That'll be $500. I need half to start. I will need the remainder when we finish on "tuesday"...

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

someone said it, and it wasn't me: " lawnguys are the only people who extend credit,to complete strangers, on a handshake, with no credit check, no references, no penalties for late payment. " true , very true. i don't play that game. balance due now is balance due now. payment due on may 1st means it's DUE may 1st

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Actually , no lawn maintenance isnt like all the other service companys, You dont use a plumber , electrician, air conditioning every 7 to 10 days. These trades charge a whole lot more , the ease of entry or starting these business is more difficult , a apprentance and journeyman period is required prior to getting a masters licence.

As far as collecting the payment have all that spelled out on the contract.

7. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

If you dont know them...Half before, an the rest when yer done....If they are people you have dealt with, such as steady customers, half down, an the balance in a couple of weeks. You know you will get payed, so it isn't a big deal.......

8. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

yea, I'm mainly talking about landscaping here. Grass cutting I can understand because that would be an absolute invoice nightmare everyday. Most customers are good. Of course it takes one apple to ruin the bunch. I really only have these small problems with the upper class clients and some business's. First timers and old customers are no problem. I haven't got burnt yet but some have gotten lengthy, and worry me. I was with the understanding that most if not all plumbers, HVAC guys doing residential repair work get their money as the job is done. Hell, 9 times out of 10 yuo are really never sure exactly how much its going to cost till they are done.

9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

So am I...... If you dont know them get the money when yer done...If they are a customer, no worries......

10. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

All my customers are billed at the end of each month. I usually get paid within 30 days. I like it that way. I dont accept payments before they are billed and I dont want cash. Its just easier to keep track this way. The only time I ever got taken was by another landscape company.