ARG!!!...HELP!!!,,Kohler problem!!!ARG!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crazycritterguy, Aug 4, 2004.

1. crazycritterguy

crazycritterguy LawnSite Member

I just bought a new ZTR with a 27 kohler.....after the first 5 hours, I changed the oil...as they say to do...all went well,,,UNTIL I opened the oil fill cap to add the new oil and check the level....the problem is,,,,,,,THE DANG DIPSTICK THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE ATTACHED TO THE OIL CAP IS GONE!!!!! The only place it could have gone is in the .....that place where all the oil is in the engine...(can't spell resivoir...resavoir,,,etc.) How serious of a problem do I have....? Is this going to hurt the engine....cause' I have no idea how long it's been in there...could have been for all the 5 hours of run time.....!!!!HELP!!!!

2. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Its prob. still in the tube. If not, DEALER.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Try a magnetic stick like mechanics use to see if you can draw it back out.

What's the chances it was never there to begin with?
    Did you check it before running it when it was new?

4. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

I'd just like to know for my own info what type of mower was it?
    Manufacturer?

No, I'm not asking so I can bust on any manufacturer.

5. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I had this happen to a truck. I pulled the dip stick out to check the oil and bam only half of it was there. No idea why but none the less. Any way in a truck/car the oil pan would catch the dipstick and the only thing to watch out for is it blocking part of the pick up. In a mower engine the set up is a little different. There is a shaft that sticks out the bottom of the engine. Well the dip stick is most likely in the bottom. My guess is that its probably causing some wear and tear on the internal parts of the engine.

Options:
    1. You could take the engine apart and find it.
    2. If the mower is new, take it back to the dealer and have them find it or give you a new mower(which if there is a dip stick floating around in that engine, I sure wouldnt want to keep it)
    3. Was there always a dipstick there? they may have forgot to install it.
    4. The way the dipstick tube is designed, the darn thing is about an inch from the bottom of the block, so if it fell off the cap it is still probably in the tube. Get one of those magnets on a stick and stick it down the tube and it might come out with it.

Hope this helps.

6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

wow a lot of you guys beat me to the puch as I was typing my book.

7. crazycritterguy

crazycritterguy LawnSite Member

It's on a new turf tiger....I love the mower...did great...but I certainly don't want to run into future problens because of something like this...problen is that I don't know much about the internal design of these engines, so I don't know what it could be affecting down there...I looked in the tube with a flachlight, but I couldn't see it. I also don't want the dealer to just somehow pull it out and tell me that it didn't hurt anything...COULD IT HURT ANYTHING? Any Kohler tech's out there?

8. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

Take it to the dealer.
    It's not your headache to deal with.

9. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen this happen on Kohlers with a lot of hours but that like yours. I would do as dvmcmrhp52 says.

10. tacraven

tacraven LawnSite Member

Get the tiger with the kawasaki next time. The second time get the LC Kawa.

The dip-stick will not hurt the engine. The magnet on the stick will most likely not fit in the tube.

I would try draining the oil. Leave the drain plug in the open position. Put the oil fill cap on tight and try to suck out the dipstick by taking a shop-vac and taping the hose to the tube. The tape would fill the void of hose to tube connection.

If this works I am a genious. If not, remember I am an LLC.