argument filtering

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by aclassic, Apr 18, 2005.

1. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

just a suggestion,
    but when reading some posts sometimes members get in heated debates over some rediculous things. could the moderators delete these arguments so the people trying to learn something can skip the wasted space?
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Ahhhh, but even through disagreement things can be learned.
  3. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Brother that is so true...
  4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Even in the heated debates, there can be a lot of very good information. Why would anyone want or believe in censorship, one of the greatest rights we have in this country is freedom of speech. I for one hate censoring of posts. Just read past the BS and learn from it. If all you learn from it is how not to post, you have learned. This isn't a perfect world, and what comes across the monitor when someone types is not always read the same way it was intended, but to take away the rights of Americans with censorship is just wrong. Have you ever read in your local paper some of the "Letters To The Editor"? If you have, then do you write to the paper and tell or ask them to censor it?
  5. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I think this whole thread should be deleted. But then, someone would start one just like it...
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

It's a fine line to walk when moderating. Moderate too much, and the members become offended that they are being watched like a hawk, and they'll say they don't like censorship. Moderate too little and the place could become chaos. The goal of the forum I believe is not only to educate, but also to keep the members happy and interested so they will keep returning.
    I think Lawnsite has succeeded in this, the statistics of new posts and threads each day are phenomenal.
  7. crawdad

Ya, posts and threads like this one. Just running the numbers up, no content.
    Phenomenal indeed. :waving:
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

It took you 2 days to notice my post and to comment on it? You must be slipping..... btw, did I ever tell you what a phenomenal member you are?? :waving:
  9. crawdad

Slipping? Me? No way, just busy. I don't "subscribe" to threads, I sometimes return to a thread, sometimes not.

You are not the first woman to use the term "phenomenal member" when describing me. :blush:
  10. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,597 crazy quick-tongued little rebel you.... it's always the really short skinny guys that have the most sarcastic things to say...seriously, why is that?