Ariens 1740 vs Hustler Mini Fastrak 16/42

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dpullen4, May 6, 2005.

1. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I'm comparing the Ariens 1740 with the Hustler Mini Fastrak 16/42. The Ariens seems to have every feature the Hustler has and has specifications to lead me to believe it's every bit of a rugged, quality machine as the Hustler, minus the difference in engine and hydros. The real trade off is that the Ariens runs a 17 HP Kohler with the IZT hydrostatic transmissions while the Hustler has a 16 HP Honda, but runs hydro gear EZT transmissions. Those seem to be the only differences between the 2, other than price, which the Hustler is about $500 more than the Ariens. ($3099 vs $3599)

This will be used for a 1/2 acre lot and will eventually be used to do some light commercial work to the tune of about 5 hours/week total. Either machine you would think would easily last me 10 years with no more use it would get, but I'm torn with the trade off between the hydros and engine. Saving the extra money now would almost pay for a 5 x 8 utility trailer as well. Any thoughts?

2. LexingtonKYcutter

LexingtonKYcutter LawnSite Member

I looked at the Ariens at my local dealer and I wouldnt consider one of those for any commercial duty mowing. For yourself though, I think it would be a great machine. The deck did look pretty solid and having a kohler that is easy to get parts for is always a plus.

3. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

That's just it...it won't ever be for full time use. It will only mow my 1/2 acrea and will possibly take on 2 accounts for mowing 2 acres of common area in my neighborhood and an old apt complex I used to mow at. The apt complex would have about 4-5 acres to mow I think. I don't see it getting any more than 5 hours/week.