ariens 21" with honda or kawi eng

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zamboni, Jan 22, 2006.

1. zamboni

zamboni LawnSite Member

Hello there, I just want your input on which 5.5 hp engine to power the Areins 21" mower. My friend has a Honda 21", and it starts without any effort at all. Also they are both $589. Cheers, John

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Have hondas on my 21"ers, (since they are honda mowers!!) AMAZING ease of starting. I can't complain about the 15hp kawi on my eXmark either, but for the 21", i would go with the honda.

3. ftgulal

ftgulal LawnSite Member

I have a older ariens 21" w/ tecum. it does not start as well as my new honda 21" w/ honda engine. But overall the ariens is a great mower, been going for 5 years and no problems.

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Which series honda engine? Does the engine have a red shroud, or black with green lettering?

5. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 ariens now with tecum motors and are great mowers have one other ariens with a briggs and its a pos also have a 24 horse honda on a z and the honda is a great motor no issues at all after 3 full years

6. ftgulal

ftgulal LawnSite Member

does the ariens have the swivel front wheels? That is the only problem I have had, the pins come out of the top of the caster and the wheel will fall off, ie: mother in law did not notice and ran over it with the mower. I cured this by putting lynch pins on them instead of the straight pins that come on the mower.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

We sell a lot of the Ariens 21" mowers, mostly to commercial mowing guys. The Kawasaki powered model outsells the Honda about 10 to 1.
    In my opinion, the Honda is a gutless engine. Just has no torque, compared to the Kawasaki. If you do a lot of mulching, the Kawasaki will power through the tough stuff, while the Honda will just die.
    The Kawasaki engine is the same model used on the commercial Exmark and Toro, 21" mowers. It just does not come with the oil filter installed. You can add the oil filter assy., if you want it, by ordering a kit from Kawasaki.