Ariens 6HP wheeled string trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ElephantNest, Aug 23, 2007.

1. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Anyone have one? How do you like it, and do you have any tips on using it? I.e., string type, size, technique, etc. Just got one and haven't had the chance to use it yet...

Thanks

~Nest

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

WHY,would run a homeowner wheeled trimmer.

3. ElephantNest

from La.

Was that a question?

Assuming it was.....it's a commercial unit, and it's for overgrown yards, ditches, etc. Not for everyday use.

4. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

it's a nice unit and aside from occasional use on a commercial trailor, it doesn't belong there. This machine is designed for homowner, light commercial use.

There's really no other "commercial" versions out there. The ariens, troybilt, dr are all in the same ballfield.

You usually use .170 line in these units. They are belt driven and work well for weeds.

This is not a brush cutter.

5. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

When we were cutting hoa properties that were over grown we used a troy built 6 hp electric start,tried it for one day and saw it wasn't what we needed.

6. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I use to use a DR model close to the one you have at the horse farm I use to work at and it was tough as nails in some realy thick overgrown ditch banks and along fence lines. Howerver, I dont ever think I would use it on a nice res yards as I really think they are for "rough" work. We used .120 line and It seemed to work really well.

7. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Definitely for occasional rough cut use. It might be handy to have under certain circumstances.

8. ElephantNest

from La.

We have lots of yards still overgrown from the storms, some are 5, 6 and 7 feet tall weeds. The kind that just wrap around the head of the weedeaters. This is pretty much all this will be for.